Categorize won't work

iruchemairuchema Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi!
In DAZ 4.5, im trying to categorize items from the poser folder and, well, it doesnt work. The category is created, i select all the items (morphs, poses, whatever), right-click and categorize-it, check the desired category, accept, not shown :P (yes, i refreshed, wont work). This doesnt happen with all the folders, only some, that apparently do not have anything different than the ones that works.
Any ideas?

Thank you very much!!

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited May 2013

iruchema said:
    Hi!
    In DAZ 4.5, im trying to categorize items from the poser folder and, well, it doesnt work. The category is created, i select all the items (morphs, poses, whatever), right-click and categorize-it, check the desired category, accept, not shown :P (yes, i refreshed, wont work). This doesnt happen with all the folders, only some, that apparently do not have anything different than the ones that works.
    Any ideas?

Thank you very much!!

First thing that comes to mind, I wonder if you have declared each item as its type? For example, do poses say "Pose" at the top of the thumbnail, materials say "Material" or are they not labeled? Depending on your answer, here are some possible solutions:

If they are NOT already set at Poses, Materials, etc in DAZ Studio, you need to designate them as such by going into the Content DB Editor and set each type as appropriate. This should probably solve your problem, but may not if....

Your item (shirt, pants, Michael 4, whatever) is not declared in DAZ. What I mean by this is, when you select the item in the scene tab, does its name show up in your Smart Content window at the top, or does it say "No Selection"? If DAZ doesn't know your selected item's name, it won't show materials or poses for that item in Smart Content. Let's use a pretend product called BigDogShirt as an example. What you have to do is select BigDogShirt in the scene tab, then go to Edit:Object:Scene Identification or Edit:Figure:Scene Identification or use the scene tab context menu and select Edit:Scene Identification.

Whichever route you choose, a pop-up window will appear. Select the ... after Compatibility Base. A very long list will appear and you must choose your object from that list. If BigDogShirt is not in the list, which is most often the case with items that do not have metadata supplied with them, you must select the upper right menu and create a new root compatibility base. Name it BigDogShirt or whatever name is showing in your scene tab and hit Accept. Hit Accept again to close the pop-up.

In your scene tab, deselect the item, then reselect it. If you look at your Smart Content tab, it should now show the name of the object. Any materials you have for BigDogShirt should now show up in the Smart Content window. If they do not, then you need to make sure they are declared as compatible with BigDogShirt. To do this, once again open up the Content DB Editor, select all of the materials (or poses, whatever) from the top list. They will now appear listed in the bottom half of the window. Click on Compatibility, then select all of the materials in the bottom half. Right click and select Add Compatibilities to Selected Files. That same window with the huge list will pop up. Select BigDogShirt from the list and hit Accept.

That, in the longest description, is how to set metadata for items in your content library. Now, whenever you Categorize something, as long as everything is set as above, the items will appear in the correct category.

I hope it's not too confusing. I should probably do some screen captures to help.

Post edited by Slosh on
  • iruchemairuchema Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for answering :)
    The thumbnails say "_inj", or "_mat"... in their names. Also, they correspond to pz2 files.
    I cant say if it shows in the smart content window... they are not objects, just morphs and skins and stuff like that, for applying to v4 chars.
    Got absolutely lost in you explanation, it soesnt seem to apply...
    Thank you very much again :)

edited December 1969

iruchema said:
    The thumbnails say "_inj", or "_mat"... in their names. Also, they correspond to pz2 files.
    I cant say if it shows in the smart content window... they are not objects, just morphs and skins and stuff like that, for applying to v4 chars.

The instructions still apply to INJ and MAT files. You say that it's in their file names. What I was referring to is the colored overlay on the thumbnails indicating the file type. In my pics below, see how some say "Shape" and others do not? Or "Material(s)" or not? These overlays need to be there for Smart Content to recognize the files. Use the Content DB Editor as described above to set the files as such.

In my other picture, I show the Smart Content tab. In the left side, you see Michael 4 listed, but in the right half it says "No Selection". This is the difference between having an object declared in DAZ or not. If Michael 4 was not declared (Set Scene Identification), then none of the materials or INJ poses would show in Smart Content.

Pic01.jpg
    411 x 221 - 67K
    Capture3.JPG
    258 x 180 - 15K
    Pic02.jpg
    443 x 292 - 125K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Are you categorizing by going to the folder under Poser formats, or are you doing a scan for content and categorizing from unassigned? I've done the latter today and it works, but it's been a while since I tried the former.

edited December 1969

Im categorizing from folders under Poser formats/my library/pose.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    iruchema said:

The instructions still apply to INJ and MAT files. You say that it's in their file names. What I was referring to is the colored overlay on the thumbnails indicating the file type. In my pics below, see how some say "Shape" and others do not? Or "Material(s)" or not? These overlays need to be there for Smart Content to recognize the files. Use the Content DB Editor as described above to set the files as such.

In my other picture, I show the Smart Content tab. In the left side, you see Michael 4 listed, but in the right half it says "No Selection". This is the difference between having an object declared in DAZ or not. If Michael 4 was not declared (Set Scene Identification), then none of the materials or INJ poses would show in Smart Content.

None of it show in the smart content tab... but i've categorized other morphs and skins etc that didnt show there, and it worked.
    Thank you again, gotta go to work now. :)

edited December 1969

Are you categorizing by going to the folder under Poser formats, or are you doing a scan for content and categorizing from unassigned? I've done the latter today and it works, but it's been a while since I tried the former.

Sorry, and thank you! :)
    edited December 1969

Any more help here please? I really need to make some sense of my cluttered runtime... :P

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited May 2013

You haven't answered the question that you quoted in your last post, how are you trying to Categorize? Are you trying it directly from a Poser folder, or using the Unassigned folder?

EDIT:

I just tried this from a poser folder, for some LoRes clothing that I got from ShareCG, and it workded first time. Are you able to creaate new Categories, do the Categories appear, but there are no itmes inside them. A lot more information is needed.

If you are saying that it works sometimes, but not others, we would need to know EXACTLY what you are trying to categorise, and how you are trying to do it.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

iruchema said:
    Any more help here please? I really need to make some sense of my cluttered runtime... :P

I really believe that what I told you is going to be your solution. But, just to be sure, can you provide a screen shot of your entire interface with a figure loaded in the scene and some of the problem .pz2 files showing in the content library? Also, show the Smart Content pane. I would put Smart Content on left and content library on right so we can see both at once.

If you do this, I should be able to straighten you out.

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

Make sure the Content Management Service is running. To do this, go to the menu, scroll to All Programs>Daz3D>Daz Content Management Service. Select "start". If it tells you it's starting, then it wasn't turning on by default.
    It has to be running to allow creation and saving of catagories.

edited December 1969

You haven't answered the question that you quoted in your last post, how are you trying to Categorize? Are you trying it directly from a Poser folder, or using the Unassigned folder?

EDIT:

I just tried this from a poser folder, for some LoRes clothing that I got from ShareCG, and it workded first time. Are you able to creaate new Categories, do the Categories appear, but there are no itmes inside them. A lot more information is needed.

If you are saying that it works sometimes, but not others, we would need to know EXACTLY what you are trying to categorise, and how you are trying to do it.

Im categorizing from folders under Poser formats/my library/pose.

edited December 1969

reelyor said:
    Make sure the Content Management Service is running. To do this, go to the menu, scroll to All Programs>Daz3D>Daz Content Management Service. Select "start". If it tells you it's starting, then it wasn't turning on by default.
    It has to be running to allow creation and saving of catagories.

It is running, because i categorize some folder ok, and the next not. It doesnt stop in between.
    Thanks anyway.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    iruchema said:

I really believe that what I told you is going to be your solution. But, just to be sure, can you provide a screen shot of your entire interface with a figure loaded in the scene and some of the problem .pz2 files showing in the content library? Also, show the Smart Content pane. I would put Smart Content on left and content library on right so we can see both at once.

If you do this, I should be able to straighten you out.

Working on it.... sorry i didnt answer before. Busyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy .

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited May 2013

@ Slosh: I don't think iruchema's problem has anything to do with smart content. Iruchema works with categories and not with smart content. You can categorize all kind of stuff in a category regardless of what it is. DAZ Studio will show it in the category if it is in a known format and Iruchema apparently knows what a .pz2 file is.

@ Iruchema: I categorize all my stuff directly from the Poser library just like you do it and have no problem with poser files. If you see your stuff in the poser library then you can categorize it.

Not sure what your problem is but it seems related to CMS and more precisely the database itself: Assuming you do things properly if stuff doesn't appear in a category where it is supposed to be stored then it means some database request came back empty. The only time I ran into a similar problem was when my CMS database got corrupted but then I had more weird stuff happening than what you mention :) You could try the database maintenance tools available in Studio 4+. Remove orphaned reference and Consolidate File references. It may not help but it shouldn't harm anything unless already corrupted. Back up your database before maintenance = Close Studio, Stop CMS service, copy your Database files elsewhere then restart CMS Service and Studio. If you don't feel at ease with these instructions then don't do it before you get more detailed explanations.

Post edited by Erdehel on
    edited December 1969

Erdehel said:
    @ Slosh: I don't think iruchema's problem has anything to do with smart content. Iruchema works with categories and not with smart content. You can categorize all kind of stuff in a category regardless of what it is. DAZ Studio will show it in the category if it is in a known format and Iruchema apparently knows what a .pz2 file is.

@ Iruchema: I categorize all my stuff directly from the Poser library just like you do it and have no problem with poser files. If you see your stuff in the poser library then you can categorize it.

The problem is, and thank you, i categorize ok some folders and sub-folders, everything is ok, and some others, that are exactly the same type (pz2, etc,) dont work. And yes, i categorize from the poser library. Ill try the maintenance thing but i dont think that is... Again, thanks for answering :)

edited December 1969

iruchema said:
    ... i categorize ok some folders and sub-folders, everything is ok, and some others, that are exactly the same type (pz2, etc,) dont work.

This is exactly what makes me think your database has a problem...

edited December 1969

Erdehel said:

Not sure what your problem is but it seems related to CMS and more precisely the database itself: Assuming you do things properly if stuff doesn't appear in a category where it is supposed to be stored then it means some database request came back empty. The only time I ran into a similar problem was when my CMS database got corrupted but then I had more weird stuff happening than what you mention :) You could try the database maintenance tools available in Studio 4+. Remove orphaned reference and Consolidate File references. It may not help but it shouldn't harm anything unless already corrupted. Back up your database before maintenance = Close Studio, Stop CMS service, copy your Database files elsewhere then restart CMS Service and Studio. If you don't feel at ease with these instructions then don't do it before you get more detailed explanations.

I completely forgot that you can categorize items and use the Categories tree without adding metadata and Smart Content. In fact, I think I might start using the Categories exclusively and give up on Smart Content for awhile. Not that Smart Content gives me any issues... contrarily, I find it easy to use and it gives me no problems whatsoever. But I spent so much time carefully setting up my categories, I feel like I know them like the back of my hand.

edited December 1969

I don't use smart content for 2 reasons:

1) It needs metadata to work properly
    2) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21588/

:roll:

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I just categorised all of my Lorenzo Lores stuff yesterday from the Poser library directly, and it all worked well, everything went where I put it, including Poses and MAT Poses, Props and all the other bits and bobs that Varssel made on ShareCG.

It does sound like something is up with your database, it works perfectly for me, and others too I'm sure. If it is something you are doing (unlikely), then if you post a step by step of what you are doing, a solution may pop up. It is very recent in my mind at the moment, but next week, who knows :)

edited December 1969

To all of you, thank you very much for all your help.
    Dont ask me how or why, but i swear on seven bibles i didn't change nothing, and now it works !!!!!!!!! :D

Again, thanks a lot. :D

edited December 1969

Miracles don't happen :P

Anyhow glad you got it working. Should it ever happen again then suspect your content database. The database maintenance tools are there for a reason and extensive use of a database always needs maintenance just because adding, moving and deleting stuff puts a strain on the database indexes.

edited December 1969

Erdehel said:
    Miracles don't happen :P

Anyhow glad you got it working. Should it ever happen again then suspect your content database. The database maintenance tools are there for a reason and extensive use of a database always needs maintenance just because adding, moving and deleting stuff puts a strain on the database indexes.

I should know.... i'm a DataBase Analyst :) Just not THIS database lol.

Btw, nice page yu have on DA. Here is mine --> http://marinaibiza.deviantart.com/