Uberlight newbie wants help

HeraHera Posts: 1,955

Why does this girl look like she's covered in ashes when using an uberlight upon her (no other light is used, and the default surface settings are used for for the girl and her top)

uberlight-newbie.jpg
384 x 433 - 33K
Post edited by Hera on

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,632
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Why does this girl look like she's covered in ashes when using an uberlight upon her (no other light is used, and the default surface settings are used for for the girl and her top)

It's at minimum quality. Select the uber light in your scene tab and choose the "4x" setting at the bottom of the list you loaded the light from.

Ohai, Pierced Heart outfit. ;)

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I have a tutorial on UE2 here that might help : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Thanks heaps Adam!! Very helpful. Browsed trough it and will give it a more thorough read-trough later to get all those small tips and tricks.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited May 2013

I had the same problem, but luckily I decided to try higher quality. In my humble opinion the highest one is worth waiting. See that "Far East Revisited" nocturnal scene which uses UberEnvironment and "Arlesienne - totally normal" which does not to see the difference.

Arlesienne_-_Totally_normal.png
    726 x 728 - 114K
    Far_East_revisited.png
    1024 x 1277 - 2M
    Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

Uberlights came out a while ago when the hardware was not as strong on average. With complex scenes or old hardware, the presets lower then 4x are handy when doing test & setup renders to get the basic light set up. For final renders one wants to use 4x or higher (tweak some settings to beyond 4x.) Iirc, Adam's tutorial covers when and how one would do that. It is a great resource for Uberlights :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

I never really used uber lights myself.... Always had them in my daz folders but when I tried them a few times I got results just like the one you posted, Lol.... but man with a little fiddling around with the sample settings it helps a LOT. What I did was dock the "properties" tab to the left bar (opposite from the content library) then clicked on the presets and watched which sliders moved around and learned what changes were taking place.