Change file location for My Library

BeemBeem Posts: 95
edited January 2018 in New Users

I have a question aboutd Daz3D program.

The program is installed under C: in my computer and other content is installed here:

C:\Users\grasi_000\Image\Dokument\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

Is it possible to add what I then download  (contant in my library) to  E:   and then point Daz to that folder - if so how do i do that ?

When i use installa manager for download can i make install manager to place the content in E:

The reason is that I start getting too much in  C.

Post edited by Beem on

Comments

• Yes, you can click the gear icon at top-right of the Install Manager window, go to the Isntallation tab, and add a new location by clicking the + icon, then select it and click the make Default button. For Daz Studio, in the Content Library pane right-click on the Daz Studio Formats heading and select New Base Directory, select the folder you added to DIM, right-click the Poser Formats heading, Add New Runtiem Directory, select the folder you added to DIM. There are also a couple of scripts you can run to add the DIM folder to DS or to add the DS folders to DIM (just download the script for the direction you want and drag it into the DS viewport to run it) http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#directory_mapping

• BeemBeem Posts: 95

You made my day.laugh

Thank you so much.

edited February 2018

- Yes, you can click the gear icon at top-right of the Install Manager window, go to the Isntallation tab, and add a new location by clicking the + icon, then select it and click the make Default button.

or Daz Studio, in the Content Library pane right-click on the Daz Studio Formats heading and select New Base Directory, select the folder you added to DIM, right-click the Poser Formats heading, Add New Runtiem Directory, select the folder you added to DIM. There are also a couple of scripts you can run to add the DIM folder to DS or to add the DS folders to DIM (just download the script for the direction you want and drag it into the DS viewport to run it) http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#directory_mapping

After the break in my computer, I am now ready to make this change.
    Do you mean that I will change both in Install Mnagaer and in Daz Studio, or do you mean either the first or the other

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • I was suggesting you chnage oen or the other, then run the script in DS to make the one you didn't change match. You can make the changes in both DIM and DS, but doing it once and then synching reduces the chances of an error.

I understand. Thank you.

• Paper TigerPaper Tiger Posts: 91
    edited March 2022

Sorry to necro the thread, but I followed these steps for the same reason as OP, and moved my library to a 5TB external drive. Now however it seems my Smart Content tab is empty. It's not a game breaker, obviously, as i use the Content Library tab for just about everything, but the smart content tab does *occasionally* make finding something faster, as i've started to amass a pretty hefty list of assets. It also appears the same is true for Daz Central. I've updated the base path location, it recognizes it as the new library on my external drive, yet the dashboard tells me that all of my assets are uninstalled. Is there a way to re-direct where these two are looking for the files? I've looked by can't seem to find a way. 

Thanks.

Post edited by Paper Tiger on
  • ronstringfellow said:

Sorry to necro the thread, but I followed these steps for the same reason as OP, and moved my library to a 5TB external drive. Now however it seems my Smart Content tab is empty. It's not a game breaker, obviously, as i use the Content Library tab for just about everything, but the smart content tab does *occasionally* make finding something faster, as i've started to amass a pretty hefty list of assets. It also appears the same is true for Daz Central. I've updated the base path location, it recognizes it as the new library on my external drive, yet the dashboard tells me that all of my assets are uninstalled. Is there a way to re-direct where these two are looking for the files? I've looked by can't seem to find a way. 

Thanks.

Did you move the database, and did you update the path for it if so (and not if not).

• SephirothSephiroth Posts: 12

This is an ongoing communication issue I have had as well. If you switch the directory it wont read the smart content, and then you cant double click assets into the scene which IS a deal breaker and signficant time waste. I have successfully moved the directories following the advice on here but you almost have to install everything TWICE ion order to get the full use of the software. If you allow Daz Central to install to the default location you dont get the smart content. If you install smart content you can't install all of the Daz Central Exclusive content. If you do just Daz Central you dont the double click funtionality. It's literally 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other with this sopftwasre which is infuriating when you have TB or hundreds of GB worth of assets you are trying to manage!

Is there a fix yet or not?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited April 2022

Sephiroth said:

This is an ongoing communication issue I have had as well. If you switch the directory it wont read the smart content, and then you cant double click assets into the scene which IS a deal breaker and signficant time waste.

If you switch the setting without moving the database then the database will be empty. Apologies if you are moving both, in lockstep.

I have successfully moved the directories following the advice on here but you almost have to install everything TWICE ion order to get the full use of the software. If you allow Daz Central to install to the default location you dont get the smart content. If you install smart content you can't install all of the Daz Central Exclusive content. If you do just Daz Central you dont the double click funtionality. It's literally 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other with this sopftwasre which is infuriating when you have TB or hundreds of GB worth of assets you are trying to manage!

That sounds like a mismatched databse path - though I am not sure whether you mean daz Central (similar to Install manager but with simplified options) or Daz Connect (installing through Daz Studio) - currently neither has content that cannot be installed through Install Manager so it is not clear what you mean by exclusive content.

Is there a fix yet or not?

A fix for what? The system does work, in general, but there are situations in which it doesn't - fixing those generally requires fixing the particular circumstances that are triggering the problem.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ashiyawolfashiyawolf Posts: 2
    edited June 2022

I wish I had read the full thread, because I followed the inital instructions and now my Smart Gallery doesn't work. I can add a figure and clothes by double-clidking it from Central, but I cannot get hair to add.As I searched for hair I noticed many items seem broken now. 

I'm going to uninstall everything, run CCleaner to clear out remaining registry items, and re-install. I hope this will get it back to working again. But it's pretty sad that you can't move the content from the C drive. I have raids with terabytes free for content to be stored, but Daz I guess insists on just filling up my C drive.

Update: even cleaning the registry didn't help, it still remembered the old paths. I tried installing new content from Central, but Studio gave me an error that it was missing items. I had to put a ticket in, as of right now it's completely unusable.

Post edited by ashiyawolf on
  • reicaixareicaixa Posts: 2

To me it was honestly better to just uninstall everything and start from scratch on the SSD (E).
    Though I remember having the installer asking where I wanted the DazCentral, I don't remember DazCentral asking me where I wanted to have Daz Studio installed..
    Should be a thing for first time installs at least.