Depth of field

ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
edited December 1969 in New Users

How exactly is it calculated and setup?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,566
    edited December 1969

In what? In DAZ Studio, set Deoth of Field on in the camera's parameters (Window>Panes(Tabs)Parameters), either enter the separation (in cm) between the camera and the item you want in focus in the Focal Distance parameter or switch to another camera or view so that you can see the camera and drag the grey sphere to lay on the in-focus item and adjust the range either side that is in focus with the FStop parameter, or by dragging the cube below the focal distance sphere in the view port.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2012

As Richard already pointed out the 'how' as far as DS is concerned, I'll tell you the technical bits for DoF. The F-stop number is how much 'light' gets through, the smaller the number, the more light (not sure if this applied to DS or just actual cameras), but it also tells how far in front and behind the focal point should be clear and in focus. In DS you'll see 2 panes in front and behind a center green line, adjust your Focal Distance to move these 3 items together front/back. The green line should meet up with your object you want in focus- meaning close to the mesh (my diagram does not display this, use rotate tools as well if needed). The front/behind ones will let you see how much of your image away from the center will be in focus. If you need it bigger, increase the number in your F-stop, for smaller, decrease the number.

See my diagram for what's what when looking at the camera things.

This page should help for a better visual representation:
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

dof.jpg
    800 x 428 - 142K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Thank you. Still experimenting but at least I have a good reference point.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Just remember when using DOF to increase Pixel Samples X and Y in the advance render settings pane to at least 16 as a starting point. The higher the blur (lower the FStop) the higher the pixel samples need to be. Otherwise you will get a lot of noise in the blur.