28th Bryce Render Challenge ~#~ By Candle Light~#~

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,388

Sray - awesome render, the lighting compliments the mood.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited February 2018

My first entry. Title : Serenity.

Serenity.jpg
    800 x 560 - 67K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,537

Beautiful entry, adbc, great use of DOF.

• @ Mermaid: Thank you.

@ adbc: Excellent work. Very atmospheric light, great perspective. Fantastic.

Horo and drachenlords : thank your for your comment.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited February 2018

adbc: Wonderful entry. Serene indeed. Wonderful use of elements and great background.

And here is my first entry. I started out being inspired by Mermaid010 and wanted to make an abstract with a candle inside a reflecting coloured sphere (and the camera inside the sphere too). But when (at the same time) creating an abstract where I started inside a reflecting sphere, but finalised it with the camera outside the sphere, I decided to use that for this one too. Then, it turned out, that I wanted some elements and it turned out to be, more or less, realistic.

Made the candles myself, but used a (modified) existing flame texture. Chair and hat are freebies I found on the internet. The hat is morphable, quite nice. The walls, tables and ceiling are from Alan Armstrong. The cat is from Poser.

Title: "When the wizard is out".

when the wizard is not home.jpg
    875 x 875 - 855K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Hansmar - cool idea and very well done. The only thing that I find strange is that there are no shadows on the floor. But then this is a wizard's place, everything is possible.

Adbc - wow awesome render, I agree great use of DOF

Hansmar - beautiful idea and well executed

edited February 2018

Horo and Mermaid, thanks. The fact that you see no shadows on the floor also puzzled me. I tried all kinds of changes in the lights or extra lights to get clear shadows from the table on the floor. But no success. I could get a little shadow, but not much. So I decided to leave it as it is. Perhaps the lights that should create shadowas are so close to the table (and so small), that the boundary of the shadow/light is beyond our view? Tables and chair do have 'cast shadows' enabled and most lights also have cast shadows (except a few that I used to beef up some lights on some specific areas). What might have also puzzled you, but is apparently less obvious, is that you see no reflection of the candle in the clearly reflective sphere. Now that is a bit of magic, without postwork; pure Bryce.

After submitting it, I thought I should have made the candle in the sphere upside-down. Perhaps I'll try that and see what I like better.

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Hansmar said:

Horo and Mermaid, thanks. The fact that you see no shadows on the floor also puzzled me. I tried all kinds of changes in the lights or extra lights to get clear shadows from the table on the floor. But no success. I could get a little shadow, but not much. So I decided to leave it as it is. Perhaps the lights that should create shadowas are so close to the table (and so small), that the boundary of the shadow/light is beyond our view? Tables and chair do have 'cast shadows' enabled and most lights also have cast shadows (except a few that I used to beef up some lights on some specific areas). What might have also puzzled you, but is apparently less obvious, is that you see no reflection of the candle in the clearly reflective sphere. Now that is a bit of magic, without postwork; pure Bryce.

After submitting it, I thought I should have made the candle in the sphere upside-down. Perhaps I'll try that and see what I like better.

For the floor, a few possibilities:   First, what light source is supposed to cast a shadow of the table on the floor?  The candle in the middle of it of course is too close to the tabletop to do anything but light the upper half of the room and down a little bit on the walls.  The distant candle should have cast a shadow sideways from the table legs if it's actually a light and not an object with ambient and no real light source, but it would be very dim.

If you have a light out of sight above the tab, one possiblity is that maybe the table is actually floating way above the floor, so the shadow is actually below the camera view, and you are really looking at the floor way behind the table, not where the shadow would be.  That can be easily tested by just moving the table or floor up/down to see if they're really intersecting.

Hansmar and mermaid010 : thank you very much for your comment.

Hansmar : "When the Wizzard is out" : very well done, has a magical atmosphere. 

• @ Hansmar: atmospheric work, even without the shadow on the ground.
    The candle on sphere upside-down could still work, you should try that.

sriesch: Thanks for your input. I agree that the light sources that are above the table cannot provide a visible light/shadow on the floor. There is a bounce-light up from the floor (from Rashad's light set) and a weak fill light, which can also not produce the shadow. There is no proper light (further) above the table. Therefore: no shadow is logical is my conclusion.

adbc and drachenlords: Thanks.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 399

#2 Fortune Seers Candle

Fortune Seers Candle.jpg
    1200 x 850 - 634K

Very nice render, Steve. I guess she is trying to decipher when the next customer is arriving.

SRay- nice render

S Ray : Really nice image !

S_Ray - good idea and very well done.

• Cool idea and nice done.

• ApocApoc Posts: 407

First entry
    Title : Resistance

I used a bit of photoshop on the textures, since they were a bit too complicated to add ontop of the existing textures

Resistance bryce contest.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M

Very nice composition, Apoc

• Very good work, Apoc.

edited March 2018

Apoc : outstanding image.

My second entry : Alone in an empty room.

Alone in an empty room.jpg
    980 x 490 - 129K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Beautiful but sad mood, Adbc. love it

Apoc - very well done scene.

adbc - she does look being alone; very nice work.

mermaid010 and Horo :  Thank you for your comment.

• Touching sad. Very atmospheric.

drachenlords : thanks.

• ApocApoc Posts: 407
    edited March 2018

@Abdc Your first entry serenity is very breathtaking, I like it alot

Post edited by Apoc on

Apoc: Very well made scene and definitely by candle light.

adbc: Well done. Wonder what the story is, behind this scene.