Seems silly to bring up after 8 years, but...

BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

When Daz took over Bryce 5 from Corel in 2005 and then came out with Bryce 6 a year later, I noticed that Daz had made the objects ten times larger... a victoria that was 9.1 BU (bryce units) was now 91 BU. What I noticed then and what has had me downscaling everything from Daz to one tenth their original import size for all these yrs since, is that the ATMOSPHERE has not been similarly rescaled. To reduce the atmospheric haze by 90% to a corresponding inverse scale, is to basically turn off the atmosphere almost completely. None of the bryce skies actually can be used as originally scaled because of the 1000% upscale of objects any scene is now thick with mist and haze. Haze literally becomes fog.
I never had a problem downscaling until Victoria 4, and especially Stephanie 4. When I reduce their dimension, an open crack appears on the forehead in Stephanie, and annoying black lines appear on Victoria 4. So I have been forced to upscale to Bryce 6+ dimensions so my charecters appear normal in Bryce, but the foggy atmosphere is making it impossible to get a realistic atmosphere, unless you are downwind of the smoke and haze of a grass or forest fire. I can only do so much with Victoria 3, and I'm not even considering investing in Genesis or generation 5 figures if this problem cannot be resolved. It should be carefully looked at before you consider releasing Bryce 8, if development of 8 is already underway.
Are there collections or defaults that are properly scaled? I haven't found any. Without the proper haze of fog the skies turn funny colors and the clouds loose their volume and softness. If anyone has source links, please list them below. I'm having a tough time justifying upscaling when doing so ruins the atmospheric realism of my rendered images.

Comments

• BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148
    edited June 2013

Here's an example, full size Stephanie 4. Everything looks fine but it's awfully foggy out there!! And this is just a shot of a close-up of a motel pool , we're not talking more than say 50 scale feet to the motel!! The full size image is 1800x1300, so click on the pic to get the detail. BTW, great shirt, right? LOL

Hazy_-_Copy.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 650K
    Post edited by Brycescaper on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Have you got Gamma correction enabled? It is enabled by default, and should be removed for a clearer render. (Tip Horo gave, or was it David. Was one or the other of them when I first started using Br7)

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

I did not know that, I have a copy of corel bryce on one of my old 3d world magazine disks I think, trying to get a grasp of world and object scales including fog has always been one of my problems with Bryce, no matter what anyone says about bryce units being what ever you want them to be does not help when working in a real world environment, radiosity or what is called in Bryce, True Ambience, has I understand always required in other software, correct real world scaling of objects for it to work properly, I wish I could get my head around it :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Have you got Gamma correction enabled? It is enabled by default, and should be removed for a clearer render. (Tip Horo gave, or was it David. Was one or the other of them when I first started using Br7)

In fact, it was Rashad who brought that to our attention many years ago.

@brycescaper - the size of the objects coming over the bridge is as much defined by the sender (Studio) as the receiver (Bryce). Export from Studio to OBJ and import that into Bryce. This will give you some clues.

Personally, I never ever cared about the size because Bryce has no inches or cm scales but Bryce Units (BU). When I set up a scene, I define for myself how much such a BU represents in that particular scene and scale the objects accordingly. A BU can be a mile or a micro-meter, the artist decides. In this respect, Bryce is much more flexible than all those 3D applications that have fixed scales.