Fringe effect on objects with Transmaps using UE

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

..been working on a pic that with a couple trees and Noggin's Ultimate Butterfly. The scene is lit with Cloud9 which uses UE. During test renders I notice there is a fringe effect around the leaves of the trees (one of LB's Oaks, and a tree from the DM Garden Collection) and the butterflies, that makes them look like a bad job of layer pasting. I'm hoping this is not another case of older content not being totally compatible with the latest release of the Studio app.

Not sure if this has to do with a UE setting or is just a side effect of UE itself. If there is no way to fix this, I have to pretty much abandon the scene as there are no other skydome/light sets available that work in 4.6 (as LDP2 has not been updated for 4.x, and from what I understand, will not be).

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Could you post an example please so we can see exactly what the issue is. I am not saying I know what the issue is but seeing can help more.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 1969

...give me a few minutes as I have to reopen 4.6 and run another test render.

edited December 1969

...OK here is the test.

The effect is mostly noticeable on the top of the butterfly wings as well as the top of leaves on the tree to the left.

I spent a good part of the morning/early afternoon trying everything I could think of from adjusting the specularity and translucency to turning off raytracing on the wings and leaves and nothing worked.

flying_test.jpg
    800 x 600 - 417K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I can just make out the issue Kyoto with these old eyes. This is wierd as I had a look at the OAK transmaps and they look ok to me, nice sharpish edges. Don't have the flutterbys.

What is your Max Ray Trace Depth set to?
    The only time I have seen something like this is when using AOA Atmosphereic cameras. UE2 has never done this before.

Helpppppppppppp

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Not sure if this is what you're seeing but I have a note in my render settings notebook about a "halo" effect with certain filters in 3Delight.

Here are my notes:

Pixel Width - Depends on filter
    Box = 1.0
    Triangle = 2.0
    Gaussian = 2.0
    *Larger values make the above filters blurry

Catmull-Rom = 4.0
    Sinc = 4.0 - 6.0
    *Larger values with these filters can cause "Ringing" or "Halo" around high contrast edges.

Hope this helps.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Sometimes (such as when I was working with a candle flame) there would be a 1-pixel-wide white line around the edge of the object, or a 1-pixel-wide transparent line 1 pixel in from the edge of the object. This made it look strange up close but destroyed the shape when the object was in the distance and only a few pixels across. I don't know if that's what you are seeing, but if it is, the suggested fix that worked for me was:
    In the Render Settings, change the "pixel filter width (x)" and "pixel filter width(Y)" to smaller values. In my case they defaulted to 6, and changing them to 3 fixed it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,955
    edited December 1969

Changing the Pixel Filter Width X/Y to 4 seems to have fixed this problem for me. Thank you all for the information. I had no idea what had caused that halo on a few of my renders. I have been using adamr001's high quality render settings, which set the pixel filter X/Y to 8.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I can just make out the issue Kyoto with these old eyes. This is wierd as I had a look at the OAK transmaps and they look ok to me, nice sharpish edges. Don't have the flutterbys.

What is your Max Ray Trace Depth set to?
    The only time I have seen something like this is when using AOA Atmosphereic cameras. UE2 has never done this before.

Helpppppppppppp

...in the render settings it is the default value of 2.

The Oak renders fine (Lisa does such good work). It's the other tree that has the fringe issues on the leaves.

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    Not sure if this is what you're seeing but I have a note in my render settings notebook about a "halo" effect with certain filters in 3Delight.

Here are my notes:

Pixel Width - Depends on filter
    Box = 1.0
    Triangle = 2.0
    Gaussian = 2.0
    *Larger values make the above filters blurry

Catmull-Rom = 4.0
    Sinc = 4.0 - 6.0
    *Larger values with these filters can cause "Ringing" or "Halo" around high contrast edges.

Hope this helps.

...experimented with the setting changes and the fringing effect is still there.
    edited December 1969

...here's a closeup of one of the butterflies and yes it appears there is a one pixel fringe about the wings which when rendered at a distance becomes very noticeable even setting the pixel filter to 1. Unfortunately that is the lowest limit as setting to decimal values redults in a 3Delight warning message that it is an invalid value.

I applied Ubersurface to experiment with more settings and when I lowered the strength of the Diffuse channel on the butterfly wings the fringing disappears, however it also darkens the colour and thus washes out details of the wings.

Attached is a render of the closeup and screen shot of the transmap

butterfly_ss.jpg
    885 x 659 - 708K
    buttertfly_test.jpg
    600 x 450 - 242K
    edited December 1969

...just re-downloaded Ultimate Butterfly Collection in case there were some revisions as I noticed now there is a Metadata file for 4.x. The last time I DLd it was when I purchased it back in 2008 (and was still using Studio 1.8).

edited December 1969

...Update.

Installed the new DL of the Ultimate Butterfly Collection (noticed the splash screen was the new one) and reloaded the swarm around Annika (the girl jumping in the air). Unfortunately, the fringe was still there even at a render size of 900 x 1200. Figured I'd tackle with that in the morning. However looking at the test just before I closed it, I noticed there was a bit of graininess to her, Leela and Tracey, so I checked the render settings and discovered the Shading rate had defaulted back to 1.0. Adjusted it to .2 and ramped up the sample rate for the main UE light to 256, set it to render again and suddenly the fringing around the wings disappeared.

the Render is still cooking 46% at 1hr 36 min (rendering with a bucket size of 8) though just got through with the trees so it's moving better again (until it hits the transmaps for Leela's hair). Will try to post the latest test tomorrow as my connectivity is giving me some fits tonight. Still have a few things I need to work on (like adding SSS to the skin and a few items off screen behind the camera to reflect in the car).

edited December 1969

...here is the latest test.

learning_to_fly_test.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 839K
    edited December 1969

I think this is a fantastic render! It is so alive and joyful and full of delightful detail.

edited December 1969

...thank you. I hoped it would convey such a feeling. The title (borrowed from a set here in the Daz store) says it all.

Learning How to Fly.

Still have a few more small tweaks to do, though decided to hold off using the SSS tools as I ran into a few issues with colour balance on Tracey and Leela having "zebra stripes" along her neck and arms.

edited December 1969

What grass did you use in the foreground? It is very impressive, the way your objects sit down into the grass.

edited December 1969

...It's Preadtron3D's Pred Pack - Grass One available here.

http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-grass-one

There are different sized and shaped tiles with different grass lengths as well as ground tiles that go underneath.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 690
    edited June 2013

I have the same fringing problem. It seems to be associated with delicate transmaps around the edges. I rendered the same image in lux with out the fringing. Maybe we need to clean up the old transparency maps?

In order
    - The shadow from Lux
    - DAZ studio 4.6 feather
    - Marie Louise feather in Lux

Something is wrong with the edges.

luxus_fringing.PNG
    239 x 323 - 169K
    fringing.pnd_.PNG
    321 x 335 - 258K
    shadow_fringing.PNG
    171 x 323 - 75K
    Post edited by Granville on
    edited June 2013

...as I do not use Lux (yet - still need to finish the Reality tuts) I'm not sure there.

With 3Delight I dropped the shading rate to .2 and ramped up the sampling rate as well as enlarged the render size. All of these together basically eliminated the effect around the wings.

The unique issue with Ultimate Butterfly is that there are different wing shapes in the MAT poses so two large transparency maps are used, one for each of the wings. This is similar to how the MFD works, swapping areas of transparency and texture which allows for a multitude of different dress styles from one basic mesh. The transparency zones are included as part of the actual MAT/texture file.

See the screen shot of the single butterfly on the previous page and notice the rectangular outline of the full transmap plane area around each of the wings. If I were to use a volumetric camera or effect, there would be a visible rectangle around each wing.

Post edited by kyoto kid on