How to load custom body without custom head morph

scorerscorer Posts: 37
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I made a custom morph of a face and body for genesis in Blender and imported back to Daz 4.6. Everything worked fine.

Then I realized I might like to use other faces instead of the one I made. It seems like I should be able to reset the head to the default but there doesn't appear to be a way to do it since the dial only appears for the genesis figure as a whole. Seems like in Poser there were a couple ways to do this.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You would need to split the morph in your modeler. Genesis is a single-skin mesh, so you can't just apply the morph to part of the figure.

• scorerscorer Posts: 37
    edited June 2013

Split and delete the head/body? Won't that screw up the vertex order?

EDIT: yeah that seems to change the geometry so the morph doesn't load.

Post edited by scorer on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Couldn't you just save the morph out twice in DS? Dial the morph in once you go through morph loader, file > save as > support asset > morph asset > check just the head or face region(s) in the first save, and the affected body region(s) in the second. I did that once to get Rawarts hooves from Rae-El as their own morph. I dialed in the full body morph and saved out only the feet as a separate morph for use on other characters.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Yeah that seems right but how do I find the morph again. Is it a preset or do I go thorugh content library? I cant seem to find it.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Morph loader morphs don't auto save. If you quit DS without manually saving them, they disappear. They're temporary.

Reload the morph via morph loader, dial it all the way in, then do the file > save as method from there.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited June 2013

Splitting the morph in your modeller doesn't mean splitting the mesh, it means having the head shape and body shape separate (or making the overall shape, then restoring head or body to base and exporting as OBJ). Some modellers make that easier than others, but I believe Blender does allow you to save a morph as a morph and then apply it selectively.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited June 2013

Richard.

I guess the part I don't get is "having the head and body shape separate." Where is that accomplished? Recall I did all the sculpting in Blender without realizing I would prefer to have the head separate. I guess you mean If I save a morph in my blender (or hexaon?) then reimport the genesis base I can apply the morph selectively in the modelling software. I.e. once to the head and save then once to the body and save a different file?

Vaskania,

EDIT See post below. morph asset *.Dsf file affects whole body even if I only save it for head.

Post edited by scorer on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

If you find where you have created the saved files to; open it up in a text editor and find "group" ... what follows is where you put it. Back in D/S, that's where you'll find it. Probably over on the Parameters Tab under Morphs or Actor or ?

edited June 2013

If you find where you have created the saved files to; open it up in a text editor and find "group" ... what follows is where you put it. Back in D/S, that's where you'll find it. Probably over on the Parameters Tab under Morphs or Actor or ?

Maybe this is a mac thing but...

it seems that sometimes I do get a myHeadMorph.dsf file. This loads in the parameter dials whenever I load a new Genesis figure. Still I can't get it to only affect the head or to get the myBodyMorph.dsf file to show up at all.

Post edited by scorer on
    edited December 1969

OK seems like the whole morph assets thing may have been a red herring. The my__morph.dsf only gets saved when I have the Genesis box checked off. I must have had that checked inadvertently a couple times when I thought I only had the head checked.

It seems you have to take care of this in the modelling software unless you are using deltas that are already grouped by node (which I was not when I first exported out of Daz).

Thanks anyway for all the help, everyone. I will try to see if Richard's approach can be worked out. (Or redo the scultpting, crap!)

edited December 1969

Oh hay, rescrulpting again and again is all part of the game lol ;-) The main thing is to be learning and improving.

Now ... I have found it to be a good idea to morph "one bit at a time". Do the head, export out and make morph. Then make the body sculpt, export out and make morph. Then make whatever else, export out and make morph.

Then back in D/S with all the bit piece morphs made [i.e. saved too] ... load in a fresh Genesis and dial in 'all' the morphs ... send that over to the modeler. I use Hexagon and the bridge. Long and short of it ... make the 'full body and head' morph .obj and then create that back in D/S.
    End result includes all the individual bit morphs and the full character morph.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Oh hay, rescrulpting again and again is all part of the game lol ;-) The main thing is to be learning and improving.

Now ... I have found it to be a good idea to morph "one bit at a time". Do the head, export out and make morph. Then make the body sculpt, export out and make morph. Then make whatever else, export out and make morph.

Then back in D/S with all the bit piece morphs made [i.e. saved too] ... load in a fresh Genesis and dial in 'all' the morphs ... send that over to the modeler. I use Hexagon and the bridge. Long and short of it ... make the 'full body and head' morph .obj and then create that back in D/S.

And now you know how to create a brand new morph set to sell, or offer as a free item if they own all the used morphs, that others will need to break into different parts once again. WINK Emotie here.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

And now you know how to create a brand new morph set to sell, or offer as a free item if they own all the used morphs, that others will need to break into different parts once again. WINK Emotie here.

Well golly gee ... kinda figured if I went to all the work to create pieces as well as the entire morph ... why not have the whole bit for a 'set'.
    However ... everytime I turn things over in this program I find it's collecting huge files or doing something I don't expect and certainly have no intention of sharing in any manner. I even figured out how to realign the bones and save out a new figure and how to make existing clothing to fit it ... but alas a 500mb+ file, that's some saving character file or whatever it was I used. I do not comprehend why, in saving a character, it feels the need to resave 'every' morph and shaping thingie on the computer 'yet again'. One copy is quite sufficient.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well golly gee ... kinda figured if I went to all the work to create pieces as well as the entire morph ... why not have the whole bit for a 'set'.
    However ... everytime I turn things over in this program I find it's collecting huge files or doing something I don't expect and certainly have no intention of sharing in any manner. I even figured out how to realign the bones and save out a new figure and how to make existing clothing to fit it ... but alas a 500mb+ file, that's some saving character file or whatever it was I used. I do not comprehend why, in saving a character, it feels the need to resave 'every' morph and shaping thingie on the computer 'yet again'. One copy is quite sufficient.
    I said Wink, as in just kidding, but yep I got no clue too....
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I said Wink, as in just kidding, but yep I got no clue too....

Okay ... I've seen others use winks as a 'subtle hint they wanted something' ... so that's how I read that. Guess too I'd love to share too but haven't the time to figure out 'how' right now. Maybe by the time they get to a version of D/S that comes with an English Bulldog Splash Screen they'll have some instructions even I can follow. [hay, when dreaming, dream big!]