New beta available: PBR, microfacets, Disney, Fresnel and tutti quanti

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

looking for a way to blend just the edges, so the seam around the lips looks more natural. 
    blend the edge of the lip color with the edge of the face skin.

and kike, the line between the bricks and the grout on the btick. 
    at the geometry level could use a lil displaacement. 
    fresnel is more opague around the edge of the geometry.  was wondering if a shader could be like ore organic around the edges

if you zoom the lips til it pixelates, theres like a blend of browns pixels

only thing i can think of is a geoshell over the lips
    and for the bricks, model a brick with a lil displacement then surface replicate it over a wall of grout.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,328

I'd definitely check out eveilproducer's shader then. I believe he also refers to where he got the idea from and, 

The toughest part of what you're trying to do is that Domains are domains for a reason - to be able to stay within the lines. So asking a shader to be able to blend beyond a domain breaks the rules of the universe.

So like Brian was saying, you might be able to use an 'edge of domain detection' plugin (Anything Goos comes to might off hand) along with a layers list to create a complex blending between the shader used on the main skin, for example, with the shader made for the lips.

Multi Shader Mixer lets us use maps (or any other function) to blend between two shaders, whereas a Layers List lets us add as many shaders as we want and use whatever methods we can think of to apply each of the shaders in the list to the surface.

Layers List is likely what evilproducer is doing, but I've never tried it, so I don't know. Layers List is also how we texture Carrara Plants. A Terrain shader is very simila t a layers list, but is specifically layed out for the types of lacement selection one would use to texture a terrain, but with some genius tinkering, it might also work. But Layers List would be the more popular choice, I'd think.

The reason is that, since we can't (as far as I know) cross over out of a domain with a shader, we need to use a blending method from another domain, and blend that in around the edges of the domain?

Damn, I'm glad I use maps!!! 

anything goos sounds promising.  thanks.  

i cant tell if these are pbr shaders.  it says iray. does iray automatically mean pbr?

https://www.daz3d.com/gems-and-minerals-for-rock-collection

Mystiarra said:

i cant tell if these are pbr shaders.  it says iray. does iray automatically mean pbr?

Yep

kewl.  thanks.  pbr shopping. 

Absolutely! I tried a few of the packs that were available as PC+ weekly freebies or some other free giveaway and really liked them, so I bought a few more for stuff that I wanted materials for.

I'm mostly using Octane when rendering from DS now, but the ORK (Octane Render Kit) has a great set of conversion presets to take PBR shaders for Iray into Octane shaders, which is an easy way to apply materials to things. 

In Carrara, I still haven't actually switched to this, but I really like how easy Philemo has made it for us - just drop the shader preset into the instances tray in the Effects tab... Love that!!! 

So I'm going to try it out on some of my new things I got from Daz

i bought a few of the isource sets.  a nice one of wood.

i've always loved the navajo jewelry.  every trip west i like to look for it.  would be nice ro render some silver and torquoise.

Very cool!

i cant stop thinking about everything that needs pbr retexturing.  like the Medieval Tavvern.  all the crockery

edited May 2021

I actually retexture everything I put in Carrara anyway

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

oh there it is, mann i feel like a doh

duf import.JPG
    512 x 436 - 37K
    edited May 2021

finally bought that set with the torquoise.  is not tiling squares.  frown

Post edited by Mistara on

Mystiarra said:

oh there it is, mann i feel like a doh

wowww  i droped in the iray mat thumbnail it did the whole figure.

Awesomely amazin plugin.

did the figure, did the hair.  took like 30 seconds 

ava.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 360K

is there such a thing as pbr fire ?

PBR = Physically Based Render, so... yes. Any fire that's made for Iray

The thing about fire is that it glows and puts off light. We usually don't need normal or specular maps, etc., for fire.

So it's easy to just build your own fire PBR shader.

Use the texture map as your emissions map. In Carrara, it would be the glow map. Since I use Gamma Correction = 2.2, I multiply my glow map by the same map, and I use video of fire instead of a single image, like we see in the beginning of this:

The fire on the torches is a video of torch fire. I used Howler to make a 30 frame loop and also made a transparency video (Threshold filter set across the whole video)

Plunked it onto a bent plane so it has a touch of three-dimensions (for camera panning, etc.,), added some spinning bullbs that don't go very far (one at 6', one at 10') to add flicker to nearby surfaces, grouped it all into a Target Helper for ease of use. Then I just use a Sawtooth Oscillating tweener to have it repeat every second.

When I use more than one, I use the keyframes of the videos in the sequencer to offset them.

A little FYI, 

When I make glow textures in Carrara, I set everything to "None" except for Color and Glow, unless I need an Alpha. Some computer screens and such I might add some highlight and shininess, but that is only ever visible if the glow is really week.

If you were lucky enough to get PrimiVol while Inagoni was still around, there are some really nice examples with that for Carrara fire.

game of thrones did some kewl flaming swords.

edited May 2021

Funny you say that just now, because I just bought Arki's Angeloi - the Flame Sword

I'm thinking that I can run it through VWD and have animated textures. We'll see.

The construction - sword and flames geometry - is exactly what I was hoping she'd have done for this. 

Should work perfectly!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

sounds like a fun project.

i'm working to see how real i can make https://www.daz3d.com/nagarian-base ; look laugh

Mystiarra said:

sounds like a fun project.

i'm working to see how real i can make https://www.daz3d.com/nagarian-base ; look laugh

Very fun! It's all in the shaders! Perhaps some Anything Goos if you want that grungy look!

Tip for Misty - Convert to PBR

If you have content that does not have PBR shaders, and you want them, try this:

1. Load the content into Daz Studio and apply the material presets (if any) that you want to convert
    2. With the item selected, go to the Content Tab > Shader Presets > Iray > Daz Uber
    3. Double-click the top preset: Daz Uber
    4. Save As > Material Preset

Now you'll have an Iray shader preset that you can drop into the PBR slot in Carrara

Don't forget that, if you want a normal map (and the product doesn't have one), you can quickly an easily make one with Materialize

edited May 2021

materialize heart

i love the drag and drop duf bucket.

planning to motor thru all my g8 character products.  spend the weekend dragging and dropping.

found if i save the car file first, all internal, when i drag the shader to the carrara browser, it will embed the maps for me.
    doesnt work for the hdr save.  

everything needs like 3 to 5 shader sets.  close up, distance, medium. closed mouth doesn't need textures loaded.  chars dressed in body suit type outfits, don't need anything cept face, lips, eyes

havent decided what medium shots need. mebbe not normal maps.  lighting channels, guess depends how medium close the camera, in daylight

There's that, but also things like this you were working on

edited May 2021

Dartanbeck said:

thanks.
    i put native shader on it for now. til i have an inventory of pbr shaders on the standby yet.  i have like 5 metals saved.

i picked up an age of armor set with iray fire. 

and i'm working on the emperor's imperial logos to put on buildings and ships.  Home Sky Secure.
    after watching starship troopers, gave me ideas. 
    in the firefly sries, the Alliance has logos in the background.

and terminator had  the corporation making the machines. forgot what its called i need to watch it again

i should keep track of  the render times too.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

pity we cannot drag and dop images from explorer into the channels of the shader tree.

One can in quite a few softwares including DAZ studio which many of its users don't realise.

I think the common denominator might be the Qt framework.

after setting up the carrara pbr presets for the character skins.,

comes setting up the hd morphs for the HD plugin.

once i have ds open i want to marathon it and get it done.  falling asleep on my keyboard  lol

and convert the animates.  will be help to test render the characters going about their buisness.

some of those hd add on skins will need the phong tesselation plug in

Mystiarra said:

Dartanbeck said:

thanks.
    i put native shader on it for now. til i have an inventory of pbr shaders on the standby yet.  i have like 5 metals saved.

Right. What I was saying is that Daz Studio's Iray Uber preset will automatically convert the default materials of that set (along with the expansion textures) to Iray PBR. Then you ca save them to your library and apply them in Carrara