New beta available: PBR, microfacets, Disney, Fresnel and tutti quanti

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Philemo said:
    3drendero said:

Great news, should speed up the import of Substance materials a lot.
    Any guess of when the next beta will be released?

I think tomorrow or the day after.

I had to redo part of the metallic workflow. I started with Carrara blurry reflection, but render time where awful. I had to find a way around it and I think I have it now.

This is a first test with a material found if Substance Share.

Working with material exported from Substance Player is fine because it's easy to test if I get a comparable result.

Sweet, any day now...

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • 3drendero said:

Sweet, any day now...

Yes, test of the metallic workflow is going well. But, as it's tedious to set all parameters for the metallic workflow, I prefer to build an importer (the one click kind) before releasing.

I hope to finish it tomorrow.

Great, can't wait.

Will try to support with some documentation and examples.

• IKtorIKtor Posts: 44

https://www.poliigon.com/search?is_free=true There are some more here free to try

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited April 2018

A new beta is available. It adds the metallic workflow and an importer. New version is available here

The importer was necessary because the metallic workflow add a lot of subshaders.

There is a new entry in the file menu: "Import PBR from directory"

New item in File menu

If you click on it, you'll be prompted for the directory where the maps are located:

Directory choice

If you choose one and Click OK, a new window appears:

The program willmake an educated guess for the files names using common naming convention. You can of course check and change the file (each line contains the list of all images in the directory).

If you have a roughness map and not a glossiness map, select the roughness map in the glossiness list and click on the "Roughness map" checkbox near to it. The program does it automatically if it recognize the file name.

As a default, the name of the directory will be the name of the shader, but you can of course change it.

If you click on "OK", the shader is created and is available in the scene shader list:

menu.png
    256 x 476 - 47K
    choose_directory.png
    422 x 333 - 7K
    ChoixFichier.PNG
    426 x 276 - 36K
    Liste shader.PNG
    247 x 112 - 9K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited March 2021

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379
    edited April 2018
    Selina said:
    Philemo said:

A new beta is available...

Thanks Philemo :)

Make that a double thanks !!!!!

PBR Metals.png
    2270 x 1042 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379
    edited April 2018

More metals

PBR Metals2.png
    2265 x 1035 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

thanks Philemo, great job as usual yes

Thanks.

Will write a CarraraCafe article later today, should be possible to use as a PDF.

edited March 2021

well, it works fine but would be better in a pretty new rendering system like REYES for example blushangel

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,967
    Philemo said:

A new beta is available. It adds the metallic workflow and an importer. New version is available here

The importer was necessary because the metallic workflow add a lot of subshaders.

There is a new entry in the file menu: "Import PBR from directory"

New item in File menu

If you click on it, you'll be prompted for the directory where the maps are located:

Directory choice

If you choose one and Click OK, a new window appears:

The program willmake an educated guess for the files names using common naming convention. You can of course check and change the file (each line contains the list of all images in the directory).

If you have a roughness map and not a glossiness map, select the roughness map in the glossiness list and click on the "Roughness map" checkbox near to it. The program does it automatically if it recognize the file name.

As a default, the name of the directory will be the name of the shader, but you can of course change it.

If you click on "OK", the shader is created and is available in the scene shader list:

thanks again!!!

Philemo said:

edited April 2018

Starting to experiment how to convert Studio shaders to PBR

First test:

Render time 5mn (mostly on transmapped hair with light through transparency, nothing new there), no postwork

Used Disney Subsurface scattering with Stéphanie SSS map (visible on the knees, the fingers and the nose).

Used Disney Sheen effect on shirt

Stéphanie PBR

Doc26.jpg
    720 x 1920 - 114K

you've been making my days Philemo laughyes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128

Amazing.  Philemo, you just continue to astound me.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Started playing with the importer, and it's looking pretty good. yes I'm looking at the situation where there is one folder containing all the maps for multiple (many) shaders. This will be the typical situation for someone creating a Carrara version of a DS Iray set.

I like that it is intelligent in finding the maps for the shader I'm working on. (So I select "Airlock Door" in the Carrara shaders list, and it finds my maps (AirlockDoor_metallic, AirlockDoor_roughness etc))

Albedo/Colour map is often just the base name of the shader, and it doesn't currently find that.

Also, could you add the base name of the selected shader to the default? (so it is, say, FolderName_BaseName) - That would save a lot of typing!

Updated news post at CarraraCafe: 

http://carraracafe.com/news/new-carrara-plug-in-pbrlightingmodel/

Updating the manual now...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ok, seems I was ascribing it too much intelligence, lol. Looks like it only picks the first shader in the folder. Ho hum.

Made a manual based on the forum threads.

Attached the PDF version and the LibreOffice ODT version too, zipped to be allowed to be uploaded.

pdf
    pdf
    PBRmanual02.pdf
    1M
    zip
    zip
    PBRmanual02.zip
    3M
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Astounding!  Wow Philemo, thanks for your work on this!  

thank you 3drendero, really appreciated yes

here dozens of free maps to play with: http://www.cc0textures.com/home

edited April 2018

I've browsed through Studio documentation and I' seen the diffrent lighting model:

• 3Delight:
      • Plastic: The Plastic lighting model has additive Specular highlights. Highlights are generally very bright and reflect the color of light projected on to it.

• Metal: The Metal lighting model uses metallic (isotropic or elliptical) highlights, which are multiplied through the base surface color, thus tending to produce a slightly brighter tint of the same hue.

• Skin: The Skin lighting model uses sub-surface scattering to give the appearance of a semi-translucent layer (skin) with a blue sheen and a red opaque sub layer (blood/muscle).

• Glossy (Plastic): The Glossy (plastic) lighting model uses a Fresnel function to make the surface act more reflective at glancing angles. It also calculates specularity in a way that produces a more uniformly bright highlight (sharper), thus making the surface look glossy. Eyeballs are a great example.

• Matte: The Matte lighting model completely ignores the Specular channel.

• Glossy (Metallic): The Glossy (metallic) lighting model is similar to the Glossy (plastic) model, but the calculations are adjusted to produce a gloss that mimics the gloss of highly-polished metal.

• Iray

Glossy (plastic and metallic), metal, Matte & PBR are quite easy. I have to investigate more on plastic (different glossiness scale) and Skin (how the red SSS is handled). If anyone has experience in the subject, you're welcome to contribute.

At this stage, I reproduce the parameters by hand to compare IRays and Carrara renders. Only when I have the equivalence settled, I'll work on an importer. For instance, skin renders are more yellowish in Carrara and I would like to understand why.

I suspect it's because iray makes extensive use of reflectivity and fresnel joint with a different gamma correction applied to maps, no technical evidence only a mere opinion

dunno if this video may be of some help particularly the part related to PBR settings for renderman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=44&v=hvkck_P8Kt8

• I've decided to support CC0Textures on Patreon. He is creating one (very good) texture set each day. I think it's really worth it.

I'm now thinking about supporting HDRIHaven, but, as there is a limit on my funds -:), I'll try to restrict. But I love the idea.

Philemo, I'd love to see you on patreon too, as well as Alberto

a good chance to keep carrara alive and kicking

another link maybe of some interest for you, especially the manual: https://www.thearender.com/site/index.php/products/substance-to-thea-material-converter.html

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109

Many thanks for all your hard work!

• Another source of PBR material: https://www.cgbookcase.com/downloads/

edited March 2021