Moving Content to another location

twallingtwalling Posts: 241
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I've got a big ol' problem.

My "C:" drive on my computer is not very large.

When I first started using Daz Studio, I didn't even really think of where content was loading. For most of my content, I actually load it into a seperate Poser directory on another drive.

However, with what I'd call "Daz specific" content, such as things for Genesis, I've just been letting the installers do their thing, and that's been to put the content into a subdirectory of the "my documents" folder, which is located on my ever-shrinking c: drive on my computer.

Now my c: drive has very little space, and it's the drive that my system lives on.

Is there a way to transfer all this content to another drive without losing functionality?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

You can move your whole documents folder - right-click on it in the Users folder and select properties, go to the Location tab, and click the Move button. In DS use the Content Directory Manager (Edit>Preferences>Library and click the button) to update the location under the various formats and it should work as DS uses relative paths.

• twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

Thank you, this was really starting to worry me!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

If you have custom Categories, make sure you Export User Data before moving the content folders, then after moving them and changing the paths in Content Directory Manager, reset the database and Re-Import Metadata to get your custom categories back.

edited December 1969

Haha, fortunately all that is too complicated for my taste, I've just used the "vanilla" locations stored by default, which is why my c: drive has gotten overfilled.

I really appreciate the advice, though!

edited December 1969

I wanted to say a heartfelt "thank you" to Richard, I just moved that sucker over to another drive, pointed all my content directories to the correct place, and deleted 20GB worth of content off my c: drive.

I was worried my saved files wouldn't work after the move, but I did some testing before deleting, and had no trouble.

So, thanks again, you really helped.

• GrokDDGrokDD Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

Twalling, my tablet doesn't have much C: space either, so I've placed everything on a removable 64Gigabyte class 10 SD chip. $34 at newegg.com.

I've placed all 560 store items plus their installers, plus installed Daz Studio 4.6 and Carrara 8.5 plus Daz DIM all on the card and am using about 75% of it.
    Removing the installers would free up quite a bit of space for more content.

If you're working on a laptop and have to move everything anyways, I recommend the SD route.

fortunately I bought two SD chips at the same time. The first one is kind of buggy. The second one works like a champ.

But as always, save your work frequently.

edited December 1969

GrokDD said:
    Twalling, my tablet doesn't have much C: space either, so I've placed everything on a removable 64Gigabyte class 10 SD chip. $34 at newegg.com.

I've placed all 560 store items plus their installers, plus installed Daz Studio 4.6 and Carrara 8.5 plus Daz DIM all on the card and am using about 75% of it.
    Removing the installers would free up quite a bit of space for more content.

If you're working on a laptop and have to move everything anyways, I recommend the SD route.

fortunately I bought two SD chips at the same time. The first one is kind of buggy. The second one works like a champ.

But as always, save your work frequently.

I have moved it all over to a spare HD that I bought just for my Poser runtime, I figure the two apps can share. (Well, I never use Poser any more anyways, just it's Runtime directory...)

I never save the uninstallers, I don't understand the whole concept of that, haha. This problem is officially solved now, I'm very happy!