Utter Confusion - Please Help!

I have Poser Pro 2014 on MAC 0X, and I have several add-ons that will not load, or even install. One of them is M5 Manly Men, and it demands that I install in the same runtime M5 is installed to. I've tried (M5 is in an external runtime, btw.) several times, but it refused to install. I really want to learn to do this without using DIM, which for whatever reason freaks out my computer frequently.

Any advice gratefully accepted, and thank you in advance for any help,
Kallie

Post edited by Kallie Warwick on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

So you are installing to the folder that holds the \Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Michael 5 folder?

• Kallie WarwickKallie Warwick Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for answering. Yes, I'm trying to install there, and it still complains that it needs Michael 5. BTW, I've installed Michael 5, but when I load him, he is solid grey and keeps griping it needs texture file. Please forgive me for being kind of slow at this, it's been a LONG time since I installed anything in Poser (that is what I am working with, btw. - Poser Pro 2014, on a Mac). Nothing seems to be working, can someone post a step-by-step guide on installing add-ons to the Genesis and New Generations?

Thank you for your patience,
    Kallie

edited December 1969

It does sound as if you are installing to the wrong place - could you post a screenshot showing the location you are pointing to, and another showing your Poser library folder list.

edited December 1969

Hi! I'm trying to post what you asked, but I am very new to screencapturing and my friend was kind enough to make the shots for me. Thank you very much for taking time to help me, I'm sorry if I've made a mistake in the images.

BTW, the Runtime Michael 5 is in is:

(External Runtime) Installs 01 > data > Runtime > Libraries > Character > DAZ People > Michael 5

It's in my Mac's Shared directory, I hope I made sense with the External Runtime.

Thank you again,
    Kallie

Poser_Menu.jpg
    327 x 73 - 25K
    Shared_Directory.jpg
    779 x 714 - 189K
    External_Runtime.jpg
    550 x 337 - 73K
    edited December 1969

You should be installing to the Install 01 folder, not the Data folder.

edited December 1969

Hi! I tried to install to Install 01, it refused to let me install the add-on. I tried every directory with Michael 5 in it, but nothing seems to work. I'll apologize beforehand, I bet I'm missing something simple. Please let me know what else I can do.

Thanks,
    Kallie

edited December 1969

You need both the Genesis Starter Essentials and Michael 5 installed to that folder. Nothing should be installed to a folder inside Install 01. I would suggest uninstalling Genesis Starter Essentials, then install to Install 01 and then install Michael 5 to Install 01

edited December 1969

Thank you! That seemed to have worked. I have another question: if I want to install more Genesis and more Michael 5 stuff, where do I put them? Also, I will be buying Victoria 6 soon, and I wondered if the same principles of installing Michael 5 will work for her.

Thank you for your patience,
    Kallie

edited December 1969

Content should always be installed to the actual content folder, the one that holds the Data and Runtime folders, rather than a sub-folder. The installers will also make you use the same folder for all morph add-ons, though with Genesis that isn't absolutely necessary.

edited December 1969

I'm sorry to be a pest, but I'm doing something wrong. I tried to install a Michael 5 character, but they don't even appear in the Library. I don't know if this is important, but in my Genesis folder, Michael 5 is there, and so are the base Genesis characters (as well as the ones in the Genesis folder). I installed Manly Men successfully, but every character or morph I've tried to install for M5 never shows up.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
    Kallie

edited December 1969

Are you looking in Smart Content or the Content Library - they should appear in Content Library under DAZ Studio Formats>Installs 01>People>Genesis>Some folder, assuming you installed to the Installs 01 folder.

edited December 1969

I'm sorry for being dense, I am still lost. I have included some images to show what my directories look like. Whenever I install, I select Install 01, and it installs, but nothing shows up in the Library Menu. I'm confused. Thank you for your patience with me,

Thanks again,
    Kallie

Shared_Directory.jpg
    558 x 684 - 71K
    Poser_Pro_2014_Content.jpg
    447 x 138 - 11K
    edited December 1969

Go to edit|>Preferences>Content Library. Click the button labelled Content Directory Manager. If "Current Directories shows a + click that, if it shows a - click the + next to the three sub-branches (DAZ Studio Formats, Poser Formats, Other Import Formats) if there is one. Take a screen shot and post it here please.

edited December 1969

I feel really stupid, but I can't seem to find where the Content Library options are. I apologize profusely, could you tell me where the options are? Poser 2014 hates me, I think. ::sighs::

Thanks in advance,
    Kallie

edited December 1969

Sorry, I hadn't scrolled up - that was the DAZ Studio method. I don't think Poser gives you a way to see the full paths to the content libraries, but a screenshot of the Library pane with all the folders closed would at least show the actual folders selected without their locations on disc.

edited December 1969

Here's a screen capture of my Libraries pane. I hope it helps! ("Install 01" is currently being re-fixed with Genesis Essentials and Genesis Poser, I renamed it Genesis Line.)

Thanks again for all your patience and help, I really do appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Kallie

Library_Pane.jpg
    333 x 462 - 21K
    edited December 1969

The folder you are installing to does need to appear on that list.

edited December 1969

Hi! I re-installed my folder, here is a screenshot. I hope it helps. Thank you for being so patient with me.

Thanks again,
    Kallie

Library_Screenshot.jpg
    340 x 807 - 92K
    edited December 1969

OK, so you now need to install content, both the core/TriAx files and the Poser Companion Files, to the Genesis Line folder, or to one of the other folders listed in the Library panel.

edited December 1969

Thank you!!! They seem to be working, but now I have 4 Genesis Line selections showing up in favorites, They all have the exact same thing, but the extra ones are just kind of annoying.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Kallie

edited December 1969

Sorry, I've not used the Favourites tab so I'm not sure what would be going on there - it could be that it holds on to links to files in no-longer used folders (so the Install 0 folder, for example).