Dynamic Clothing Control

Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Some pretty simple questions actually...

Where is the PDF that explains how to use the plug in?

What does Face-Body Intersection mean?

How do you see what direction the wind is blowing from?

Comments

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

What does Damping refer to?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/9032/start link to the readme where there are two pdf's

The first one on epage 13

Damping - Measure of how the fabric has to being damped. A large number gives the fabric more damping-ability. An example of damping could be a shock-absorber on a car. The shock absorber "dampens" the wheel from continually bouncing up and down. This parameter acts similar to this on clothing.
    edited December 1969

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I checked the link through the Product Library and there was nothing available. And the product page had no information either.

edited December 1969

yeah if you look up and in the Help menu there is a link to the Documentation Centre and on the first page of the Doc Centre is a link to the Readme page. You need the sku number, in this case 90232 I think, which is stated on the product page. Then find the sku group that 90232 would be a part of and in this case 9000 - 9999 and there you will find the readme.

See simple...LOL A right royal PITA.

edited December 1969

What a massive waste of time and bandwidth...

Three locations with three different sets of information on the same item.

edited December 1969

I know I am hoping they get it all linked soon.

edited December 1969

Unfortunately the PDF wasn't a whole bunch of help. It appears to be five years old and at least one software iteration out of date.

Any idea what Face-Body Intersection might be?

edited December 1969

Well spotted. I haven't done much Dynamic work in DS4.5+. Sorry no idea what it is.

edited December 1969

No problem. I appreciate all of your help so far.

I opened up a ticket asking for the updated documentation. I have a feeling I already know the answer... Which will mean another product I return.

edited December 1969

There is a Dynamic Clthing thread that the maker of the plug-in used to post in. I say used to as last we heard of him was back in March.

But as for returning well that is your choice of course but I wouldn't be without it. :) Most of the time it works well. I do wish we had it built in though.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Legionair said:
    What does Face-Body Intersection mean?

How do you see what direction the wind is blowing from?

The Face-Body Intersection comes in handy if you're draping something over an object with smaller surface detail than the mesh of the draping cloth — switch it off, and you might get bits of the object poking out between the mesh of the cloth. Switch it on, and the cloth faces in between the mesh will also collide. This can make the drape take a bit longer, though.

You don't see which way the wind blows unless you add a Wind Modifier (in the Physics sub-tab). The modifier is a little fan that appears in the scene zero point, right in the middle — although the wind blows the same way everywhere in the scene, a bit like the light direction from a Distant Light. To set the wind direction, just select the Modifier in the Scene tab and use the Rotate dials (usually only Y-Rotate) in the Parameters tab; there is also a Velocity parameter to set the wind strength.

A note of caution; dynamic cloth is not easy, you won't get it right away, and even when you do get it right, it does sometimes take a while for even a successful drape to run. But when it all works, the results can look really good.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is a Link to one of my Fave Dynamic Renders it's on DA so you need a Account and need to be able to see Nudity as it is not Forums Friendly to Post here. It Uses the Wind in it. http://jaderail.deviantart.com/art/Serpieri-Copy-295112800

edited July 2013

Jaderail said:
    Here is a Link to one of my Fave Dynamic Renders it's on DA so you need a Account and need to be able to see Nudity as it is not Forums Friendly to Post here. It Uses the Wind in it. http://jaderail.deviantart.com/art/Serpieri-Copy-295112800

Sorry, no Deviant Art account so I can't see.

But I have now encountered a new problem.

My dynamic cloth no longer collides with my scene. Even though I have the "Collides With" set to Everything, nothing happens. I have tried selecting, deselecting, selecting sections only, but nothing. Just passes through like nobodies business.

Correction, it just will not collide if I include the Cube Primitive I added as part of the list. All I am trying to do is get the excess to stop at the floor and not pass thru it.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
    edited December 1969

Okay resolved now.

For whatever reason the software didn't like a ground plane as a collide with. It just passed right through that and draped on the object.

The software also didn't like a primitive cube. When I added that as a collide with, it just passed right through everything.

But when I added a random "floor" from one of the exterior models, bingo. It finally stopped on the floor.

edited December 1969

Yeah passing through geometry is down to not enough polygons. Increase to amount of polys when you create a Primative.

edited December 1969

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

I had a feeling it was something like that. The floor plane being the dead giveaway. I figured that had pretty simple geometry and the cloth was just passing "thru the cracks" so to speak.

I have to say, the freeze simulation followed by the smooth object function is essential.

edited December 1969

Yeah the smoothing mod helps if you use the Freeze function, though we shouldn't need to IMHO. I can't even use Freeze in DS3A if I have more than one Dynamic clothing item on a figure. Not sure about DS4.6.