Running Shoes - Problems parenting to G2F

none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm slowly learning to use Daz Studio, it's fun but also it can be a pain in the A*** (US version A**).

I've been trying to parent the shoes which load up as a pair, rather than individual left and right objects.
The only way I've managed to use them is to load up two pairs and hide one shoe from each pair.
So the question I'm asking is, - is this the normal procedure, or am I doing something obviously wrong. I've tried locally parenting the Left Shoe to the Left Foot, but it would only accept my last selection. ie, right to right then left to left would end up like the picture.

Also, if I'm loading up 2 sets, I'm I using up twice the memory.

A prod in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks

RunningShoes.jpg
1186 x 924 - 490K

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,872
    edited July 2013

The shoes shouldn't need to be parented to G2F. They should Fit To the figure automatically.

BEFORE selecting the shoes from Smart Content or the Content Library, select Genesis 2 Female in the viewport. Then select the shoes. They should come into the scene automatically fitted to G2F.

You can verify that they're properly fitted by then selecting the shoes in the Scene tab, and looking at the Parameters tab. (See attached image -- you'll probably need to click on it to expand to see more detail.)

runningshoes1.jpg
    1916 x 914 - 439K
    Post edited by vwrangler on
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Bugger... I'll try again, threw me out first time.

Thanks vwrangler, thought it would be something obvious, doh.
    It's just that I'd loaded the pants and top first and they didn't need to be Fitted to...
    Guess I got stuck in a For - Next loop.

Cheers, thanks for taking the time to explain.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

vwrangler is correct. These shoes are conforming which means they should be "Fit To" Genesis 2 Female rather than parented. Generally only static props are parented to a figure. There are of course exceptions. As a general rule of thumb shoes will always be fit to, and never parented, especially if they are set up as one figure.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

One source of confusion may be that by default DS 4.6 is parenting fitted items to the figure they are fitted to, and recent items saved from 4.6 are parenting on load. But it's the fitting, not the parenting, that is important (and the parenting is to the root node - Genesis - not to the feet).