Clothing that's not Skin-tight?

cathauscathaus Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I've modeled some shorts in Blender using the Genesis mesh as a starting point. I'm using the transfer utility to attach the shorts to my figure and although I've modeled in some looseness, approximating the way a real pair of shorts might fit, the transfer utility process pulls my geometry in to make it skin tight. Is there a way to control how much the model I create gets morphed during this initial fitting?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited July 2013

Did you model around the base Genesis or a morph? Did you tell DS to apply a smoothing modifier, or to convert to SubD?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • cathauscathaus Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I did model around a morphed base figure, which I have since learned is not the preferred method. Even so I was able to get my model to fit by using the "Current" state of the Genesis figure and reversing the morphs (checking required setting in the additional options area). I tried converting the .Obj file to a D-Sub prior to using the Transfer Utility and tried it without changing it, both methods seemed to work equally well. The smoothing modifier helps but I'm not certain my problem is smoothing exactly.

It's really evident on the figure's buttocks. It seems a few of the vertices of my model are incorrectly being pulled through my mesh during the transfer process. If I examine my model after the operation it almost looks like just two or three vertices are the cause of the trouble. I've tried modifying my mesh but it doesn't seem to help a great deal. It happens right in the crease of the buttocks where the faces of the Genesis mesh are almost facing one another. My mesh is modeled in such a way as to not have such a "painted-on" look and should not be drawn so close to the underlying Genesis mesh during the transfer process, if possible.

I've considered using a morph to correct the error and then baking that into the clothing once I get it fixed as a possible work-around. I've also considered creating another morph of the figure I am adding the clothing to that has more relaxed curves and creases in order to get the clothing to fit properly. Any other suggestions? I am puzzled because how can you achieve a truly custom fit to clothing without modeling it on the final morphed figure? Is there a way to modify the projection parameters within the Transfer Utility to prevent the object from having such a skin-tight fit?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

If there was a single morph applied and no scaling involved you should be able to load the original shape over the top of the automatically generated morph DS creates, restoring your original shape for that (but not for other shapes). Could you post images showing the way the mesh is being pulled in, and how it should look - it could well be that there's ambiguity about what should influence that ara, and that's causing the problem with the shape reversal.

• cathauscathaus Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

I appreciate your help and I've learned a few things. The most important being that the mesh density and how it relates to itself and the Genesis figure plays a huge role in how your model will be fitted. I think the problem I was having could be attributed to not having enough density in that specific area and so a vertex was "falling through" the DAZ mesh during the transfer process. As best I can tell, the best practice is to build density, by hand, where it is needed and keep things simple where it's not needed. In my case, it worked best to convert the model to a Sub-D after going through the transfer process. I just had to go back and forth experimenting with adding and moving edge loops where needed but eventually I got the fit I wanted.

Now it's on to adjusting the weight maps and figuring out how to get the material groups to transfer.

Post edited by cathaus on