Newbie Shadow Help Needed

Hello all,

I am very new to Daz and am sure this is an easy fix and I'm just not seeing the solution. How do I make shadows visible while I'm editing a scene? They appear all perfect and beautiful when I render the scene but for some reason aren't visible otherwise. Obviously being able to see them as I edit my lighting would be handy! I'm sure there must be a way to do this, any pointers gratefully received!

Comments

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

I know this is the answer your not looking for but...

As far as I'm aware of, Daz Studio does not have the capability of allowing shadows to be seen before rendering the image. The best your going to get is using the Spot Render tool and seeing if your shadows are looking good with the lights you have in any given render. Sorry I can't be more help.

• celestialheathercelestialheather Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh really?! Well at least it's not just me being a dizzy head. Certainly an issue. Thanks for replying so quickly!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio uses OpenGl to display items in the viewport, and it cannot show shadows.

Shaders are also not visible in the Viewport, as OpenGl cannot display them correctly either.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, lets be 100% correct here. The OpenGL viewport could do shadows IF the lighting was OpenGL based and not just a interpreted version of a basic OpenGL light stand in added to the Viewport by the DAZ Studio program until you do a full render, at which time the 3Delight lighting is plugged in and calculated. We have shadows in all our games that run on our OpenGL based GPU cards don't we? Now, do we NEED the Game code added to DAZ Studio just so we can see shadows, of some type, in the Viewport? Well...

I for one I think we need other features added first, a Poser like Cloth room/Dynamics comes to mind. That said If I could see which items were casting a shadow in my render area when I start removing props from large sets that would be a bonus. Are my shadows falling from what I think is the right direction? That too would help. But I think more 3D functions should be added first as DAZ Studio already has a very large Memory foot print as it is.

That's just my two cents, and some ramblings of things I have thought of.