Reflections

jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Having trouble making them! I am doing a scene with a creek. I am using the basic reflection settings suggested by Daz on a water surface. I have one distant light set to Ray Tracing and an UberLight with for Occlusion. I am getting shadows instead of reflections. I did turn off the UberLight but and turned up the distant light but nothing changed.

So, I load up the Lands of the Sun scene where I know there is water reflection. Pop in the same lights as in my stream scene and get a beautiful effect with reflections and shadows. Why can't I get this in my own scene? My water prop is set up with exactly the same settings as this water prop. Anybody out there good with reflections?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    Having trouble making them! I am doing a scene with a creek. I am using the basic reflection settings suggested by Daz on a water surface. I have one distant light set to Ray Tracing and an UberLight with for Occlusion. I am getting shadows instead of reflections. I did turn off the UberLight but and turned up the distant light but nothing changed.

So, I load up the Lands of the Sun scene where I know there is water reflection. Pop in the same lights as in my stream scene and get a beautiful effect with reflections and shadows. Why can't I get this in my own scene? My water prop is set up with exactly the same settings as this water prop. Anybody out there good with reflections?

The Lands of Sun scene load it's own Render size? If so it probably loads it's own Render settings also. For Reflections to work in DS4.6 you need Max Ray Trace Depth in the Advanced render settings set to at least 2, for a Average render I set it to 4. That could be the issue.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Could you post the settings you are using that aren't working, and how the scene comes out when rendered?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Jad you only need Max Ray Trace depth at 1 for reflection to work, for a reflection of a relfection 2 and so on.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! That totally did the trick!