blend terrians

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Ok, you have 2 or more terrains on the scene

What I"m wondering if you can blend them together in any way? Or would I be forced to just use 1 plane?

I'm making game terrains, so...well, I have no idea what I'm really doing

Sort of like...I"m not sure what the size limit would even be.

But I do know that game levels can be big (they seem like that to me)

Like, if I were to make a desert level, I would like to have...different hills happening, a valley way...that sort of stuff

Or do people just shove all this detail onto 1 plane and just enlarge the thing?

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

If you use at least a 1024 resolution for the terrain, you get quite far with it. If you think you need a larger, more versatile terrain, you can tile them. Once you have a good terrain, switch off the three Random options in the Terrain Editor, then tile North/East/South/West in the Terrain Editor.

It is important that you follow a path and don't jump around. This means: start with one terrain, copy it and - looking from above - move it upwards, i.e. North, then go into the TE and select Tile North. Copy this new terrain again and move it right, tile it east, copy this one and move it down, tile it south. You have now a 2 x 2 tiled terrain with edges that match. If you need larger ones, do it in a snake line. There's a video that explains it on the Bryce Mentoring DVD.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just want I didn't need...being linked to something that cost money

I can tile, that's an easy part...it's when you edit the terrain to make the plains with different hills that's the issue

edited December 1969

You have some terrains tiled together and want the whole of it changed - is that what you are looking for? If yes, it is not straightforward but can be done.

Render a distant mask with the camera above the terrains and putting an isometric lens in front of the camera. Export the image immediately after the render has finished as 48- or 96-bit TIFF. Convert this TIFF into a 16-bit greyscale TIFF and import it into the terrain editor. You have now 1 terrain and can edit it. Render large enough to have the spacial resolution you need and set the terrain resolution accordingly before you import the image into the TE.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I can tile, that's an easy part...it's when you edit the terrain to make the plains with different hills that's the issue

Well when you go around saying you don't know anything and you have to ask for help about every facet of what you're trying to do then the likely result is someone will eventually steer you towards some sort of educational resource. In the questions you've asked the last several days you've been directed towards several free educational resources but given the nature of your questions it seems like you've ignored those.

What you are trying to do isn't exactly beginner/novice level stuff it's fairly advanced actually. To grasp it all and have success with what you want to do you're going to need training on a wide variety of things possible in Bryce. The mentoring DVD provides exactly that and represents years of experience on the part of the authors as well as quite a bit of time and effort compiling that experience into a format for teaching others. Such efforts naturally deserve to be compensated for. It's unrealistic to think you'll be able to master a 3D program enough to create an interactive 3D game worth even downloading, without ever buying any tools to help you in the process.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

You're very rude aren't you?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Cool it guys, Please try and keep things civilised. Thanks.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Gee, so sorry that I don't find most these videos I come across worth it

I mean, most those videos I come across just say how to build a scene with the same tolls, There is not 1 video that just focus on what all the tools do. If there is, then I haven't found

I can't make a terrain like how someone would with a scene that's just for render, I can't take the same short cuts like someone could just if they're making a picture

So sorry that I'm such a pain in the ass, I'll just go somewhere else for my questions

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I mean, most those videos I come across just say how to build a scene with the same tolls, There is not 1 video that just focus on what all the tools do. If there is, then I haven't found

I can't make a terrain like how someone would with a scene that's just for render, I can't take the same short cuts like someone could just if they're making a picture

So sorry that I'm such a pain in the ass, I'll just go somewhere else for my questions

It's all good bud. Seems to me you are just having the standard frustrations that come along with getting to learn Bryce.

Honestly, it takes a couple of years of using the software every single day before it really starts becoming second nature. That's why its really not a good idea to start with "projects." It is best to start with basic exploration. It's too soon for work, at this stage it should be all about fun.

Bryce is like a new type of paint brush. Your first time using it shouldn't be a paid commission work that will be displayed to the masses. No, you should first play around at home with the tool until you are comfortable enough to then be ready for contracted work.

My suggestion is to scrap any "work." Just open up the application and have a play. Play, not work, for at least the first few months.

And do bring your questions. Realize that we try to equip people not only with a surface depth answer, but an in depth one. With Bryce, there are no training courses at the University. We have to teach each other and so for that reason we will often suggest reading instead of giving a shallow answer that might actually cause more confusion for the new user down the line.

There is a user named Bullit. She's been using Bryce for a couple of years now. She used to struggle with things like lighting but now she's quite the expert. It just takes some time is all.

Don't give up. And please, don't lose patience with yourself, Bryce software, or your fellow community members. Trust me, in a short time you will be the one answering questions for the newbies.

Best of luck!

edited December 1969

A good idea is always to start looking at the documentation of a program before using it, particularly if it has so many options like Bryce. Here are the free Bryce docs, as far as the Terrain Editor is concerned, it is the same for Bryce 6 and 7.

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/software/bryce/bryce_7_ag_wip_0204.pdf
    http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/software/bryce/bryce_61_artist_guide_122807.pdf

There are several hundred freely available video tutorials on Vimeo and YouTube), most made to solve a specific request of a forumite, like yours. There are also hundreds of text tutorials. If your particular problem is not covered, how about recording a video yourself or writing a tutorial? That's exactly how we do it. Ask in the forum, if you get no answer, figure it out yourself, then share. That's the Bryce spirit, it is unique. If a commercial product is suggested, it is just that: a suggestion. You're completely free to purchase it or not.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Vata: The question you asked presupposes you understand animation, that it's based on 'X' amount of frames of 'X' amount duration. To have different hills, valleys, etc. appear each one will need to be created separately, and then 'shot', if you will, for a specific period of time. Anything within that particular 'shot' will have to be different in the next 'shot' in order to give the appearance of motion.

Having said all this, those 'shots' will be created by creating individual scenes made up of terrains, primitives, etc., all created using the methods shown within many of the video/written tutorials Horo has mentioned. You can't begin to create animation if you don't understand how to create the parts you need for each scene. This is why everyone is directing you to tutorials/information that helps you get started using Bryce. It's not a slight against you, just people who've been there trying to help you understand where you MUST start in order to get where you want.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Ok, you have 2 or more terrains on the scene

What I"m wondering if you can blend them together in any way? Or would I be forced to just use 1 plane?

I'm making game terrains, so...well, I have no idea what I'm really doing

Sort of like...I"m not sure what the size limit would even be.

But I do know that game levels can be big (they seem like that to me)

Like, if I were to make a desert level, I would like to have...different hills happening, a valley way...that sort of stuff

Or do people just shove all this detail onto 1 plane and just enlarge the thing?

Probably it would help if you gave us more specifics of what limitations your games authoring software places on your use of geometry. Bryce, although very flexible, is primarily intended for generating artworks not 3D content for games. For example, I use Grome, which is a dedicated engine for building world geometry for use in games engines. Grome splits it's terrain surfaces into linked zones that while contiguous can be loaded or unloaded from memory depending on how much RAM you want to dedicate to this task.

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor

It is very powerful, but obviously of limited application, mostly just games terrains. Which might suit you. There is a demo, so you can see if you like it.

I find it very tricky to use, but then again, I don't consider myself a games programmer, I've only written a handful of games, and my programming knowledge is limited to things most people probably wouldn't even have heard of these days... 6502 assembler anyone?

But it might be worth a look if you want to incorporate roads for example, something that is nearly impossible in Bryce, Grome has special (rather fiddly) tools to handle.

edited December 1969

... 6502 assembler anyone?

Yup, Rockwell processor. Commodore PET used it. Instruction set was quite similar to the Motorola 6800 for which I did a bit at the time, mostly for the Mac. I'm more comfortable with the Zilog Z80 and the Intel 8080 series up to now.
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited August 2013

6502 assembler anyone?

David, you might want to mention that only 4 elements had been discovered in those days: earth, air, fire, and water. :D

My first computer: TI-994A. ;) Anyone remember the Timex Sinclair? LOL

Ok, I'll stop now before I get smacked for hijacking this thread.

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

6502 assembler anyone?

David, you might want to mention that only 4 elements had been discovered in those days: earth, air, fire, and water. :D

My first computer: TI-994A. ;) Anyone remember the Timex Sinclair? LOL

Ok, I'll stop now before I get smacked for hijacking this thread.
    Me too. Hijacking and Timex Sinclair. Had a ZX80 and still have 2 or 3 ZX81 ones.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited August 2013

Horo said:

Me too. Hijacking and Timex Sinclair. Had a ZX80 and still have 2 or 3 ZX81 ones.

Good old days, i remember i was buying games on audio cassete tapes and if the games were to hard , which is known those zx-80 had insane difficulty, i was hacking/translating them using the disassemblers :lol:

I even started to create some mini games in basic.

I still remember and know Basic language and compilers languages needed to hack the games and work with registries ,routines/subroutine calls :lol: (the hp, ammo,life, etc, -the counters- were mostly in subrountines calls- "ADD" was my favorite command for registries lol)

Another version (advanced) of basic was visual basic which it says that can make some quite powerful viruses which could affect even the first versions of Windows xp or 2000 if i'm correct.

sorry for the off topic response but i couldn't resist to this additional subject :lol , to many memories, time spent, skipped lunches, wasted nights ,etc... lol

online zx games
    http://www.80stopgames.com/site/zx-spectrum-48k (java installed and permission to run required)
    http://www.zxspectrum.net/ (java installed and permission to run required) (select jogos scroll tab)

Post edited by cris333 on