Re-Texturing

Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

So I have this model. It's fairly large and ornate, but the Surfaces have not been subdivided much. And I wanted to try and re-texture it without relying on the Image Map direction the modeller used.

I approached this from two different directions...

The first was to create a Geometry shell of the model. I adjusted the offset so there was none. I then applied the texture I wanted to the shell, for example's sake, lets say a gold shader to make a gilded accent.

In Photoshop I opened up the Image map and made an Opacity map, so that only the points I wanted the gilding would appear. I then made a second Opacity map by inverted the first map. So now I have two maps one hiding the gold gilding and one showing it.

I applied the "Show Gild" Opacity map to the shell. And the "Hide Gild" map to the original model.

Render and it seems like the Geometry Shell doesn't share the same mapping. The transparent areas where not where I expected them.

So then I figured I would bring in a second copy of the model. Essentially doing the same thing as the shell. Set up the same Opacity maps again...

Now this time there seems to be interference where the two models occupy the same space. Even though the Opacity maps should show / hide, the hidden parts bleed thru anyway...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

You will get that with 100% overlap. Scale the dupe up by .0001 or so. You may have to move the object center if it's way offset from the actual center of the object.