jagged shadows in luxrender

Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hi there-

I am hoping someone out here can help me out. I followed this (http://www.daz3d.com/luxus-pro-training) tutorial on how to render with Luxus but for some reason when I render with Luxus, I get these really hard jagged shadows. Granted I didn't use the same scene to follow along but I created the lights and converted them as described and got is horrible mess.

Below are images rendered with 3Dlight in studio and the same scene with the converted lights (converted to Luxus) in Luxrender. Can someone tell me where I went wrong? The images have been cropped to edit out the naughty bits.

Daz_to_Lux_test_002.png
877 x 381 - 336K
Daz_to_Lux_test_001.png
877 x 377 - 235K

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

Sub divide the figure mesh and you will be fine.

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It can as well be a problem with subsurface materials compatibility.
    By what i saw, skin mats that work very well in 3delight are terribly ported/converted for luxrender, so possibly you'd have better results using a less complex skin mat (no hss, no sss, whatever it's called).
    Your 3dlight render looks a lot better, clearly, but i bet you can find a different skin/mat set that would shine in luxrender.

Still a noob myself concerning luxrender, but i found that in most cases basic skins and shaders work much better there than the others optimized for daz studio.

• Marmalade BoyMarmalade Boy Posts: 103
    edited December 1969

Hi Mattymanx and Kesh,

Thank you both for your responses. I've tried both of your suggestions and got varying results.

1. I subdivided the mesh 3 times (first pic); the jagged edges were gone but it did nothing for the hard shadows.
    2. I changed the material (second Pic) to one of the default matts that comes with daz and got better results.
    3. In pic 3, I changed the material to the default one and subdivided the mesh 1 time.

I suspect that if I let it render for an hour or two, number 3 would match closely to what I got in 3dlight. However it would not be the character I crated in terms of look and feel. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

3.png
    877 x 391 - 446K
    2.png
    877 x 393 - 440K
    1.png
    877 x 395 - 484K
  • keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

yup, solution 3 is looking the best.

You have lost bumpmap and displacement map of the original 3delight render (other than the subsurface ones that most likely caused the problems), but that is not a problem: you can just add them in manually in surface tab, it's a bit tedious but can be done. Just look back at the 3delight scene in surface tab, under 'skin' subgroup and take note of the maps and values used there to re-insert them in the simplified materials.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

Lighting in Lux is the same as lighting in the real world so its a totally different apporach then in Poser and DS.