What does the cyborg shader do?

cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,411
edited August 2018 in The Commons

Reading the description of the cyborg shaders, it's not clear to me what they do. Do I need to manually select surfaces with existing Cyborg figures to apply these shaders?

Post edited by cherpenbeck on

Comments

• Shaders are just materials that you would apply to the surface of your figures and models. Since it simply replaces whatever was there before, it can be used on any model or figure you have. You can find them in the Content LIbrary. Select the surface using the surface selection tool and (or manually in the surfaces tab) and ensure the model is selected as well. Apply the shader and render in Iray.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,932

Its just shaders you can apply to anything, they're just made to look good for cyborgs

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

https://www.daz3d.com/cyborg-shaders

Do I need to manually select surfaces with existing Cyborg figures to apply these shaders?

Yes.

As Lin said, the "Cyborg" part is that- that vendor is a master of cyborgs so you are basically getting 'his level' of shaders so they come with the vendor's blessing ...

and stamp of approval - well really .PNGs of labeled approval.

AND, we should always link to the product in question so that when someone stumbles across this thread- months in the future, they'll know what the heck we were talking about. lol

So it seems that decals are for post and not just limited for cyborg badges, you can use them for anything.

* Might have liked them as tattoos and/or presets that pre-applied them. 

snip

So it seems that decals are for post and not just limited for cyborg badges, you can use them for anything.

* Might have liked them as tattoos and/or presets that pre-applied them. 

Aren the not showing up as options when you choose a decal effect?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,368
    Linwelly said:

Its just shaders you can apply to anything, they're just made to look good for cyborgs

Actually they are shader presets, I really wish vendors would stop using the term shader it can be misleading.

scorpio said:
    Linwelly said:

Actually they are shader presets, I really wish vendors would stop using the term shader it can be misleading.

There is a whole tin of worms with the confusion between shaders, shader presets, and materials, material presets ..., then there are textures and what else?

But you are right in this case they are shader presets

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    scorpio said:
    Linwelly said:

This!

Well, now then, I'm really curious.

Anyone grab these yet?

I assume "Materials Shader" means they are like a NEW MATERIAL for his older robots.

And the part that says they can be used on your stuff means they must be there as regular shaders too - for whatever you want to use them on.

I see no promo pics with those decals in use, so I also assume it's something you do manually.

I would love for someone who has this to chime in with the details.

I keep reading the description over and over. I think the merchant resource is really about someone making their own robot(like) product and using those decals in the textures/materials or skin-part. I think WE usually just enjoy having access to those kind of tools/resources. A lot of resources are more like utilities and less tied to any exact product.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473

Hey Folks, I've had questions over the years if I could make some materials that could be used on different robots and such so I decided to take some of my best materials from some of my cyborgs and convert them to shader presets. These tiled shader presets will work on 'any' material you apply it to and I also included some quick scaler presets for them too. The decals were a bonus to use in post work or to apply in any paint program that uses PNG files for your own products. These decals come from the same ones I use on my cyborgs and robots. And like it states, this is a merchant resource for you to also use in commercial products. 

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 602

After spending a long time on my wishlist, I bought Cyborg Shaders on Friday and started to explore them today.  Although the store page states

As a Bonus, also included are 4 pages of PNG Decals to add that extra layer of realism.

I cannot find them.  Can anyone point me to where they are?  Thanks.

• Rosie DRosie D Posts: 67

signage01.png to signage04.png are in the "1_54805/runtime/textures/dzfire/cyborg shaders" folder - Or via the zip file IM00054805-01_CyborgShaders1of2.zip

Hope this helps :)

Rosie D said:

signage01.png to signage04.png are in the "1_54805/runtime/textures/dzfire/cyborg shaders" folder - Or via the zip file IM00054805-01_CyborgShaders1of2.zip

Hope this helps :)

@Rosie_D,

Thanks much for pointing me to where the decal files are located.  The published artist was quite cryptic in identifying that information.  I saw in the Read Me file the sentence, “The 4 Signage .PNG contain various decals and are supplied as bonus files there are no presets for them.” but no location was provided.

Again, thanks.

DzFire said:

Hey Folks, I've had questions over the years if I could make some materials that could be used on different robots and such so I decided to take some of my best materials from some of my cyborgs and convert them to shader presets. These tiled shader presets will work on 'any' material you apply it to and I also included some quick scaler presets for them too. The decals were a bonus to use in post work or to apply in any paint program that uses PNG files for your own products. These decals come from the same ones I use on my cyborgs and robots. And like it states, this is a merchant resource for you to also use in commercial products. 

Would one use the decals by copying desired ones from the PNG file and then pasting them in place in a paint program or in image editing software?  Importing one of the image files as a new layer?  Something else?  I've worked very little with post processing.