Confused over the V4 to G2F clone

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

...recently purchased the V4 to 2F clone based on part of the promo that mentioned it was would allow me to use existing textures (as long as I set the G2F to UV to V4). I use the "Set Victoria UV" selection under Library/People/Genesis 2 Female/Materials which resets the UV map. However when I try to apply a V4 texture map (say Thorne's Tommi character) nothing happens.

The only maps I discovered that I am able to apply directly (by clicking or drag & drop) are the YT5 ones,

Unfortunately to use any other V4 textures, the only option i see is to have go though a very tedious process using the Surfaces Tab which involves jumping back and forth multiple times between the S3A Content/Runtime/Textures folder (where I keep all my Gen4 content) and application for all the skin as well as bump and specular maps (if they are included) for the various regions.

I'm wondering if I am missing something somewhere and there is an simpler workflow solution for this?

Also, when I now open the Surfaces tab for G2F, I am seeing three new selections in addition to the standard "Surfaces" group

Default Templates
Legacy Surfaces
Skin

This is a bit confusing as to which one I should be using to apply all the textures.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

You need to save the V4 textures in DUF format. Just load on any Figure and then Select all in surfaces and Save as Material. right from the info

note: Due to a limitation in how DAZ Studio handles presets, only material presets which are in DUF format can be directly applied. Any existing material presets must be re-saved in DUF format from the original Victoria 4.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 1969

..so I'd need to use an original Genesis or Gen4 character to do that then?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

YES, Any any figure it will auto pick duf in DS4.6 as file type. But read this..

note: Due to a limitation in how DAZ Studio handles presets, only material presets which are in DUF format can be directly applied. Any existing material presets must be re-saved in DUF format from the original Victoria 4.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

..oh, it asks me for a name. Not sure what to call it.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Anything you want. Resaving it as a new format won't overwrite the old file, even if you save it to the same directory.

edited August 2013

...OK thanks.

...So if i want to save a map with say different makeup I'd have to save the entire map again or just the face map?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Just the face.

edited August 2013

...nice. works like a charm.

Ended up saving my primary characters' maps as well. This will be great as using the various life stages with Growing Up I don't have to mess with the skin maps every time.

Thank you both very much,

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Don't forget to back your conversions up somewhere. Since they don't come with the actual downloaded version you'd have to redo them if you ever redid your library.

edited December 1969

...so if for example, I installed the Beta update (4.8) they'd go *poof*?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so if for example, I installed the Beta update (4.8) they'd go *poof*?

No, but if you ever lost all of your content, or just the texture files you created, you would have to redo them all again since you created them yourself, and they don't come with any download you would get from the store., that is what Vaskania means.

Installing any version of the DS application does not alter the content.

edited December 1969

...excellent, thanks for the clarification. Expecting to see the stable public release of 4.8 soon.