DS4 Autofit/Transfer Utility for Armour

X3DX3D Posts: 30
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there a method to use Autofit/Transfer Utility to fit armour correctly to Genesis without it deforming with the figure weight mapping?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,755
    edited December 1969

I suspect that this is a situation where you'd need to hand-convert the mesh, to preserve its lines, and then work on the weight-maps directly. The auto tools are optimised for cloth, which bends, rather than armour made from rigid plates. Similarly, you'd almost certainly want to hand-sculpt your major body morphs rather than relying on morph transfer.

• X3DX3D Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

I thought maybe if once the armour was transfered onto Genesis I could then alter the weight mapped armour to a state where it is just attached to the bones with a subtle map.. but cannot figure out how to ease down the weight map of the entire piece of armour e.g M4 Cybersuit by Xurge3d using the brush tools etc. I think this would also help with the crumpling of the mesh around the collar region when autofitted through the bodysuit projection map.
    This is a problem with many files I have including such great suits as SanctumArts GRIM Armour.. The Boots especially become a big problem as in Marauder and many others where the kneepad is attached to the boot and is not designed to bend/curve round the knee when the figure is posed in a kneeling position etc.

edited December 1969

You would use the Polygon Selection Tool to select areas of the mesh, which you can use the existing materials and groups to help with, then fill with a weight (right-click menu)

edited December 1969

I have looked at these tools and tried to experiment but with no visible effect with the mesh or even the brush itself.. all seems to be locked?

Without the option for rigid clothing.. Genesis is quickly becoming redundant.. until a new character Adam/Eve is released that will truely accept all, Genesis will have to sit on the naughty step.

edited December 1969

The selection and painting tols should work - for example, in the image I have clicked the + next to the lips material in the Tool Settings list and the lip polygons have been selected. I can use groups, surfaces and regions here. When editing weight maps you do need to select the bone, and then in tool settings the parameter you want to edit (and it does need a map assigned)

You can also select some polygons and use the grow/shrink commands (ctrl +, ctrl - respectively) to adjust - for example, select the easy polygons on the face of an armour piece, then use grow to get the trim around the edge.

There are also lasso selection tools, and - though they wouldn't help you - the weight painting tool has linear gradient and spherical gradient (like the old-style Poser falloff spheres) tools.

If you select a bunch of polygons, a bone and the parameter you want to weight then right-click with the Weight painting tool you will find Fill selected faces... about half way down the menu, allowing you to assign the weight you choose to the polygons.

TriAx rigging has at least as many options for rigid clothing as older figures - but it's not a process you can expect to be automated, there's nothing in the models to say "this bit should move as a unit".

01_Select_material.jpg
    866 x 587 - 63K
    edited December 1969

After using transfer utility to fit the desired armour to Genesis I begin to experiment again with the mapping tools as you suggested but I am getting no mesh changing results only X, Y and Z translate variations.. I presume thats what the mapping tools in DS4 are only capable of.
    When using programs such as C4D and even Quidam, whilst using a brush weight tool the mesh visibly changes so you can achieve the desired result.... time consuming for clothing with which autofit in DS4 is fantastic for... but armour is a simple process because it is just basically attached to the selected bones within its range. I will keep experimenting in case I have overlooked something

Thanks for your input Richard

edited December 1969

If you edit the weight map and the bend is applied you will see a live effect - but if the mesh is distorted in the zero pose you won't see anything as that is due to the reshaping from the original figure to Genesis.

edited December 1969

I did notice the different bend and rotate effects I can achieve by altering the weight map using the tools provided.. but as you point out once the mesh has been zeroed onto Genesis the distortion of the mesh itself cannot be resolved within DS4.

• kokorosenshikokorosenshi Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

hope im not late to the party, just to get this clear, the armor you're using keeps acting as if it were clothing using the transfer utility, right? if so, have you fixed it? i had a similar issues and found a way to fix it

edited December 1969

kokorosenshi.. I gave up to it in the end.. But would like to hear how you have fixed this issue?