[morph request] convert obama faceGen FG to into a morph

james a030james a030 Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

im looking for some 1 who can make me a obama head morph using the
obama_01.fg from http://www.relativitybook.com/CoolStuff/faces/BarackObama_01.fg
and convert it so it fits on the genesis model i have tried to do it my self but i FAIL horribly

edit
using the demo version of http://www.facegen.com/exporterDemo.htm
http://www.relativitybook.com/CoolStuff/faces.html

Post edited by james a030 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,677
    edited December 1969

Unless the maker of that has approved redistribution you can't do that, I'm afraid.

• james a030james a030 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

i think it would be ok since the .fg files are avalable for free
    and if the demo exporter is used with watermark intact

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,677
    edited December 1969

You need to check the terms - things may be, and often are, free if downloaded from the original source without allowing redistribution.

• james a030james a030 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

i do not see any term or requirement or agreement to be met to use the file
    just a warning that using the files produce materials in a way that would normally require the subject's permission could make me liable to get sued
    but i don't have to worry about that because of Fair use which protects artists who do parody and the like
    http://www.relativitybook.com/CoolStuff/facebank.html
    but the demo version of face gen is for none commercial use

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    The way copyright works is that if there is no terms of use, then the terms are 'all rights reserved' by default, which means you cannot make a derivative work (I.e. a remorph like you are asking for) and distribute it (I.e. give it to someone, or have someone do it and give it to you). This is why many content sites will make you pick a license when publishing your works, otherwise it defaults to 'all rights reserved', and that's problematic for free redistribution, especially of meshes.

Because there are a lot of artists here, this group (and similar) are pretty stringent on not violating anybody else's copyright. You'll have to do it yourself (I.e. personal use exemption, but again you can't share it with anyone or it's getting into distribution issues), or get permission from the original creator to create a derivative work. If you can get that permission, you're golden.

-- Morgan

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Ehr, that site you linked form already gives you the fg file, you only need to import it in the Facegen demo and export to Genesis using the plug-in. Wendy has a tutorial on how to do that here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=176991&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (mostly the post at bottom of the page, with further clarifications later in the thread). This case is rather complicated. I believe you need the President's office permission to use his likeness if you are in the USA. The fg export appears to require the Re-Distribution license according to the graph here: http://www.facegen.com/rd_license.htm , but that is a problem of mister relativitybook.com. As for redistribution Facegen is just an algorithm that produces the same results for whoever uses competently, with the same starting picture, so it's a bit hard to claim it holds any artistic value (therefore no copyright should hold).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087
    edited December 1969

if you could say where you are getting stuck, maybe I could help
    it does actually say somewhere in the license for facegen exporter you cannot redistribute the morph or texture without the additional customizer or whatever license and you would need Daz's permission too as it uses Genesis's mesh,
    renders ok.

• JQPJQP Posts: 511
    edited August 2012

Because there are a lot of artists here, this group (and similar) are pretty stringent on not violating anybody else’s copyright.

Lol, the implication being, what? That artists are lawyers at heart and anyone who isn't a lawyer at heart isn't an artist? Or am I missing something here? I'm an artist, at least by training if not by profession, and I think large areas of IP law are for the birds on a conceptual level, to say nothing of their current corporatocratic incarnation in the U.S.

I think you meant "there are a lot of merchants here," instead. That makes more sense.

Post edited by JQP on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Please be aware that the DAZ 3D forums have a zero-tolerance policy on copyright infringement. Regardless of one's personal opinions on copyright laws, violating them will result in loss of forum privileges at the very least, as well as whatever legal remedies the copyright holders choose to pursue.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited December 1969

That's not a copyright infridgement if he is not restributing the DAZ Studio Genesis mesh.

Singular Inversions has a DAZ Studio 4 plugin that can be used with Genesis and an 'Obama character' can be 'sold' as a delta in DAZ 3D Stores. I've seen too many very good realistic face models of famous people to know Singular Inversions and FaceShop and similar products aren't being used. Mainly because they qualify as public figures. I'm not sure what the law would be if people just took pictures of private citizens when they were in public and produced characters. No money in it so we don't have to worry too much.

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

I'm not saying use this file, but with regards to public figures, I think you are fine. I'm sure not every caricature of the many political figures certainly have not been through any permission process. Same with videos on TV, photos in the rags... no need for model release forms for them. Seems like 'public' office gives out many 'public' rights for use.

Still, if someone (not the government) created the fg file, it is theirs and is copywrited from the moment of inception. Same with web pages, graphics, and even those same videos and photos mentioned above. The creator is in the clear for use, but you can't use their work without permission. Has everyone noticed how license plates are all blurred out on every show or newscast anymore? Just one of many things that is somewhat obvious.

Everything from NASA is in the public domain, or at least photos and such. I believe the thinking is we are the government, so what the government creates is ours.

But alas, IANAL either, so who am I to give advice?

edited December 1969

dumorian said:
    I'm not saying use this file, but with regards to public figures, I think you are fine. I'm sure not every caricature of the many political figures certainly have not been through any permission process. Same with videos on TV, photos in the rags... no need for model release forms for them. Seems like 'public' office gives out many 'public' rights for use.

Still, if someone (not the government) created the fg file, it is theirs and is copywrited from the moment of inception. Same with web pages, graphics, and even those same videos and photos mentioned above. The creator is in the clear for use, but you can't use their work without permission. Has everyone noticed how license plates are all blurred out on every show or newscast anymore? Just one of many things that is somewhat obvious.

Everything from NASA is in the public domain, or at least photos and such. I believe the thinking is we are the government, so what the government creates is ours.

The author of the original post created those files. Most likely with pictures that are in the public domain. Legally he can use those.

Personally, I don't want to use those .fg files but anyone did then can download the software and create one for themselves just as easily.

edited December 1969

dumorian said:

The author of the original post created those files. Most likely with pictures that are in the public domain. Legally he can use those.

Personally, I don't want to use those .fg files but anyone did then can download the software and create one for themselves just as easily.

So anyway, I just tried this and what this Singular Inversion DAZ Studio Pro 4 Expoter does is generate the face morphs needed to change the Genesis face to the .fg file generated in FaceGen. It also generates textures but unfortunately it look like that need to update that DAZ Studio Pro 4.5 as it's not even close.

What you do is generate a .fg file with photo(s). Export the (default gray) Genesis figure as an .obj (you'll only need to do that once) and then use the SI DAZ Studio 4 exporter to import the .obj and the .fg and then you export the generated FaceGen textures and Genesis face morphs.

The morph has a SI watermark. To get rid of it you have to pay $99 to but the DAZ Studio 4 exporter.

You don't have to pay $299 for the SI FaceGen Commercial version.

So this FaceGen / DAZ Studio 4 exporter is a good deal.

I would pay double $99 if they could extend it to generate Chilbi type or other type recognizable caricatures.