Aggghhhhh DIM!

SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Thank heavens fro the Resume feature so recently added to DIM I thought when the wifi signal 'fritzed' on me 770MB into the 1.1GB install file for HDR Pro Yosemite Pack One Pt2 DS (try saying that vefore your first coffee of the day!).
Kicked off the download again, happy to see it decide to do the resume then ... *crash*. Yup, every single time I try and resume that download DIM crashes.
In the end I moved the .part file out the way and have started again.
Annoying as it has all worked well in the past on resumptions.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

That's what you get for using DIM. LOL It posts like these that keep me from using it.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    edited December 1969

Sadly, I doubt that without it's resume function I'd never manage to get it downloaded!

edited December 1969

I just DLed them manually and all went fine. :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

DIM may not be completely to blame. Your wifi going out could've resulted in a corrupted .part file.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

You are not on BT are you Simon? My Broadband went down part way though a large download a couple of days ago, and all told that day my BB went down 4 times.

hasd to cl;ear my cache to get rid of the corrupted dl's before trying again.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

well that's a double whammy, BT and DIm....oh my. :) :P

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    edited December 1969

It was 'borrowed' wifi from a couple of sources - totally legit, don't worry! - via a couple of free wifi hot-spots. First was BT, second was O2. The download fail/crash syndrome returned (this time only after 400MB or so I think).
    Fortunately when I got home the resume function worked fine and I moved the original .part file of 700+MB back into place to get that resumed instead of the more recent one of around half that.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    well that's a double whammy, BT and DIm....oh my. :) :P
    ..me no DIM Pete. mine was a manual download, so no resume button.

The bit that annoys me about BT is that when you have Broadband problems they tell you to check on line, on their broadband status ppage for updates on the situation.

Excuse me, my broadband is down, how can I check on line?????????????????

And then when you do get access back and check that page they are not admitting there was any problems in your area,. hmmmph.

edited December 1969

Hey I am only taking the mess. I am on Virgin and they aren't much better...they used to be great but now the reliability is crap.

edited August 2013

Well I blame it on living halfway up this Welsh mountain, the exchange is down in the next valley over and we are right on the end of the line.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

I'm dissapointed that the DIM does not have a resume-function and an automatic restart for the downloads.

This summer I ordered some stuff when in the summer cottage. There we have no broadband, just a wireless and now and then the connection breaks.

Every time the download was disconnected, it did not restart automaticly but I had to do it by hand. Then it restarted from 0% instead of resuming. Really frustration. An automatic restart and a resume function ought to be bread-and-milk functions with a DIM. It's like getting a car without a steering wheel IMO!!!

edited December 1969

DIM does have a resume function now, in the latest version.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

How do I invoke that one then?
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    chohole said:

How do I invoke that one then?

If the download is interrupted the status will go from 'download' to 'resume'. You click on the product box and add the resume to the queue - and so far, it has worked for me. I just today resumed the Yosemite HDR pack from about the 700 MB point. Note that resume is NOT automatic - but that also means you can sneak in a couple of small files before resuming a monster.