Screwy render times in 4.6

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...This evening while running a test render (600 x 600) I happened to look up and noticed the Elapsed Time read 24 hrs 11 minutes. Odd in that i only had launched the process a few minutes beforehand.

This has occurred on a couple other occasions before. Anyone else experience this?

I am running the last stable public release and not the current Beta.

I also received a "Fatal Error" message during the preceding render attempt as well which closed the application. This is the first time on my new system that I have seen 4.6 crash during a render process. Makes no sense since again, the final render size was small and I have rendered scenes that were far more complex with more difficult to render elements like fog, reflectivity, heavy transmaps, and other "in render" effects as well as much larger render output size with no difficulty.

Now I have been running a lot of test renders tonight, but I thought that the memory leakage issue had been dealt with a while ago (and in no way could this scene by itself exceed my available memory).

Comments

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,135
    edited December 1969

If, for some reason, the time, date or time zone on your PC is altered during the render process this will be reflected in the "Elapsed Time" reading. I have just done a quick test where I changed my time zone from London to Baghdad. The render time immediately increased by two hours. I then reverted back to London and the elapsed render time said 24 hours and 2 minutes!

Make of that what you will. :coolsmirk:

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

It can be the optimizing images thing that takes time. I've noted that if you have SSS, Überlight and LIE together the optimizing takes like forever, sometimes it even hangs for me, and the solution then is to restart DAZ by clicking the object you want to work with (rather than to open from inside), and it loads anew, and then it works, but it do take its due time!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 1969

...I'm aware of the optomisation routine, but 24 hours? I would know if I was awake that long.

The run time of a test which I am currently running (on the same scene at the same render size) is12 min 9sec at 70%

I also haven't adjusted any settings on the clock since I set things up back last spring.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

Did you happen to start this before midnight and it finish after midnight?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,605
    edited December 1969

4.6 does a lot of thing slowly for me. I get longer render times, slower loading and it hangs on "clearing the scene."

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,135
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    I also haven't adjusted any settings on the clock since I set things up back last spring.

The fact that it was 24 hours suggests to me a PC date issue. Obviously if you had changed this yourself you would remember, but these things are nowadays controlled centrally via the internet and if there were a temporary ISP malfunction where the time zone, time or date was changed and then quickly reverted, as in my example, then that would explain why suddenly the Elapsed time read 24 Hours and 11 minutes.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 1969

...as this has occurred several times before, I feel it may have something to do more with the render timing function within 4.6 rather than an external source.

Mattymanx, I launched that particular render test at around 00:35 - 00:40.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Time is relative. May be your computer entered a black hole ? If not that, I'd say I've seen something similar once but not with DS. Had a problem with an application which timing was twice as slow as what it should have been. After long analysis, found out the problem came from the computer internal clock. After changing the Bios Battery everything came back to normal. However if you have a new system the chance are very slight that to be the problem

As Cayman suggest, it could eventually come from time synchronization. Try to disable Windows Time Service to see if you get the problem again.