What I Learned Today trying to use the GenX plugin

KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325

I'm compiling all this info into one post, because it took 24 hours of searching and support tickets to solve a very simple (I thought!) issue.

I tried to let the DIM update itself. It gave me an error about killing children and wouldn't uninstall. I uninstalled using windows. Then I got a new error when I reinstalled it. But the DIM worked... only it seemed that the CMS wasn't installing properly. I thought little of it -- my programs all worked correctly -- but then I went to use GenX for the first time on my new PC and it was entirely grayed out. I read in a forum thread SOMEWHERE in a Daz forum that GenX may not work if the CMS isn't working. So I set about fixing the CMS.

After filing a tech support ticket, I discovered that Newer NVIDIA drivers on PCs with integrated graphics have issues with installing and uninstalling the CMS.

To fix this, you must first look at your NVidia control panel. In the 3D section, there MIGHT be a way to change from "auto select" to your choice of whether to use the NVidia card or the integrated graphics card. The "auto" function is what messes up the CMS install. On the other hand... there might not be a way to un-auto-select in your NVIDIA options. There wasn't in my machine. If there isn't, you must search for "nvinit*.*" on your PC and rename all files with this string from dll files to something like nvinit.bak, etc.

I'd suggest using the free "Ultra Search" (http://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/) to find it, because Windows Search stinks.

In some instances, you will not have system permissions to alter the nvinit files. In which case, you need to get ownership of the files. Great link here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/ There's a command line solution, or further down, a way to do so with the security tab. Once you own the file, you may STILL not have luck renaming them. I wasn't able to rename the files, but I was able to delete them. And after deleting them, which was recommended on an NVIDIA forum thread, furnished to me by DAZ tech support, it didn't seem to affect my graphics in the slightest. I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with all that, but it DID allow me to install my programs and the CMS without issue.

After re-installing EVERYTHING, CMS worked, no install problems. I got my smart content back by re-importing all metadata. And then I went to use GenX. I'd entered my Daz SN and the plugin said it was registered. But it was STILL GRAYED OUT.

As it turns out, if you have the upgrade from Renderosity, you need to add the renderosity information to the plugin. And, as it turns out, if you are in certain workspace layouts, the tab menu for GenX doesn't HAVE an option to enter your rendo information. SO, you have to change workspaces, then go into the tab menu, and THEN enter your renderosity name and order number.

And THEN it will work.

On the off chance someone else has any of these issues, there will now be one thread explaining all of it.

Have a great day.