RESOLVED - "Not tested in Daz" models in Daz Studio - question

nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

I've picked up some of Smay's irresistible Gosha models, even though they mostly say not tested in daz. Got a word from the artist/vender that they would still work in Studio, but materials might need adjusting.

What I find is that they mostly do work, that is load, but, for example, while I get Gosha and his clothes loading fine, the ground prop doesn't load.

The scene tab shows it is there, but what the viewport shows is just a couple of white lines. Also, Gosha's clothes, though parented, have to have the same pose file applied to them, one piece at time. Time consuming.

Same with the Gnome House; most parts load except the house interior, the part with the moveable doors. The obj gets called, but doesn't show up in the viewport. I don't think this is a materials issue.

What I would expect, if a product is poser-only, is that nothing would work, but that's not what's happening. Most everything works, except these essential pieces. I've looked at the Cr2's in Notebook++, but don't really know what to look for, in terms of a difference between what does and doesn't work. A good problem to learn in.

Building my own ground prop for the little guy, and designing an interior for his hill-house will be fun, but I'd like to understand what's happening in the larger picture of obj's and cr2's.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

--

Thanks_Gnome_3_post.jpg
600 x 800 - 468K
Post edited by nowefg on

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited December 1969

I don't know what you mean by "parented".

In poser, non-prop clothing needs to be conformed. Only Props are parented. I believe the DS term is "fit to".

Don't know about the ground.

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited September 2013

Parented, as in, change parent from none to figure. For example, if I have a clothing prop that stays in zero-position when I move the figure under it, I most often find that it's because the prop has none for a parent. If I parent that piece of clothing to the figure, or a particular part of a figure, like head in the case of hair, then, when I move the figure, the clothing follows the figure's pose.

This seems especially the case with hair props. If parenting doesn't work, and I get a fit-to option in right-click-select, I try that too. With Gosha, neither had any effect. The only way to get the clothing to follow the pose was to apply the figure pose to each clothing item. First time I've seen clothing respond correctly to a figure pose, but it does, perfectly.

Fit-to only seems to come up when I'm trying to use a non-Genesis item on Genesis; then I get the auto-fit dialog that talks about fit-to.

I've never used Poser, and the above, for what it's worth, is the limit of what I know about such things. What conforming means in Poser vis-a-vis Daz, is yet another good question. Non-prop clothing, too, is a new term for me. I thought all clothing was a prop. Not in Poser?

Like magnets; older products talk about them; what the heck are they, and are they relevant to current applications, daz or poser?

Post edited by nowefg on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

nowefg said:
    I've picked up some of Smay's irresistible Gosha models, even though they mostly say not tested in daz. Got a word from the artist/vender that they would still work in Studio, but materials might need adjusting.

What I find is that they mostly do work, that is load, but, for example, while I get Gosha and his clothes loading fine, the ground prop doesn't load. Check the Surface settings and see if Opacity is set to 0%, Some poser Items do that.

nowefg said:
    The scene tab shows it is there, but what the viewport shows is just a couple of white lines. Also, Gosha's clothes, though parented, have to have the same pose file applied to them, one piece at time. Time consuming.Select each Item in the Scene Tab then go to Parameters under General set FIT TO to the Gosha Figure. They will then Pose with the Figure.

Same with the Gnome House; most parts load except the house interior, the part with the moveable doors. The obj gets called, but doesn't show up in the viewport. I don't think this is a materials issue.

What I would expect, if a product is poser-only, is that nothing would work, but that's not what's happening. Most everything works, except these essential pieces. I've looked at the Cr2's in Notebook++, but don't really know what to look for, in terms of a difference between what does and doesn't work. A good problem to learn in.

Before DAZ Studio made Genesis all items were Poser items with just Some DAZ Studio materials. DAZ Studio was made to use all but Poser Shaders, and Poser dynamics, and still can use most Poser things except those and the Poser style Weight Maps now.

Building my own ground prop for the little guy, and designing an interior for his hill-house will be fun, but I'd like to understand what's happening in the larger picture of obj's and cr2's.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?Some Older items Might have NGons that Break DS from reading the Item now. That Is a mesh issue, that was not a problem in older programs but DAZ Studio has trouble reading those files now.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail,

I did check for opacity, which is 100%. I'll have to look for the fit-to you mention, as I've never seen it in the Parameters tab under general or anything else. The only time I see it is when I right-click an item in the viewport. I did that, but it had no effect.

NGons? No idea what that is. Something is blocking. Would ng-whatevers cause an obj to show in the scene tab, but not in the viewport?
    Wish I had a screenshot handy; what does show in the viewport is two white lines, in the approximate (I guess) position of where the model is supposed to show up. Possibly of use--the house props that won't show up all have on thing in common, they having moving parts. Doors that open, lids that open.

To complicate that, one prop with a moving part, a chest with hinged lid, does show up just fine.

Thanks for thinking on it.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

By Gosha's ground prop I'm assuming you're referring to the Fungi that he comes with in Poser's figure folder. There is also an *'obj in the same folder that you can try loading. File > Import > Wavefront OBJ.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Vaskania,

Yes, that's one of the problematic props. I can load that prop from the obj, but it doesn't have any texture, just the white model, so it's no help. May be I'm missing something, there, about how to load an obj, and get the textures with it. Have had a lot of problems with that with other obj's, so i don't use them much.

In the case of the other trouble props, like Gnome House interior, there are moving parts to the prop, which don't load from the straight obj, as I found so far.

I did hear from the vender on this, and the word is that, as Jaderail was thinking, these models were made a long time ago. The solution, if I can work it out, is to load them in Poser 6, (or above, I assume,) and then export them to Studio. The newer Studio versions don't read these models properly.

Darn, eh? There's so much to all this, to learn about. I'm Studio 4 and above new, and would really like to get into cr2's and obj's as code, to understand better.