Mudbox?

KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325

I'm trying to create a morph for a .cr2 figure in Poser. I am able to export an object out of poser, sculpt in mudbox, then export a new obj. I use the new obj to load a morph target, but when the dial is turned, the mesh explodes.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing something? I am using MB 2013 x64 and PPro2014.

Comments

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Naturally, this works flawlessly in DS... Must be a Poser subdivision issue. Gah. So much for Roxie and Rex...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

For this purpose, if you don't need the figure posed to morph, you could try importing the figure into DS, export as OBJ as you do for Mudbox, reimport as a morph target to make sure it works and if it does export from DS using the Poser preset and try using that in Poser - try with a simple morph first, of course.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Nope. Doesn't work -- wish it did. Poser mesh explodes even when DS is used to create the object. The problem seems to occur when the obj is brought back into the mesh as a morph target. And DS cannot inject a morph into a Poser WM figure, like Roxie or Rex. You can bring the figure into DS as a cr2, export an obj, then morph in Mudbox and bring it back into DS. However, when you use Morph Loader to add the morph, nothing is actually injected in the CR2. No dial appears. It says it works, but nothing ever shows up. The only good news is that I can use DS to create morphs in DS in the only cross-platform WM figure available (Dawn). Bad news is that Dawn is the ONLY figure this works on. Roxie/Rex/Alyson, etc. are outta luck.

It must have something to do with the way Poser exports objects. You cannot use the "unimesh" skinning method and export an obj in Poser. If you do, the obj has no polys in it. You can only use the "traditional poser" skinning method. Something wonky must happen when traditional poser objs are generated for a WM figure. Maybe it has something to do with the Catmull-Clark subdivision method. I don't know. I thought maybe it was a UV issue, but after sculpting in MB, I imported the original UVs before saving the sculpted geometry as an obj, but the mesh still exploded.

So... I can make morphs for native DS WM figures. If that figure has a WM Poser counterpart (Dawn, and only Dawn), then I can use this method to generate a Poser pmd from the DS data file. Otherwise, Poser WM figures are incompatible with Mudbox. Which is a darn shame because I love MB and don't have access to Z-Brush, which I hate in any event. *sigh*