Getting a weird shadow on my mesh

Sand3Sand3 Posts: 99

So I built this light-house model in Blender and pulled it into DS4 to do some pretty renders with the Cyclorama, but I'm getting this weird shadow on one of the walls and I can't figure out what's doing it or how I fix it. The wall is completely and totally flat, I made sure it was zeroed on the z axis in Blender, and I made sure the surface was set to 'solid' and not 'smooth' (smooth does make some weird shadows on flat surfaces, I've noticed) before exporting the OBJ. It's only this one wall section that's doing it too, and it shows up on my renders, even through the displacement maps.

weirdshadow.jpg
396 x 510 - 198K
Post edited by Sand3 on

Comments

• Sand3Sand3 Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

with displacement.

weirdshadow2.jpg
    400 x 525 - 208K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

If that piece is a single poly then triangulate it and it should take care of it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,474
    edited December 1969

Matty is probably right, but when you have this kind of question it's often a good idea to post a screenshot showing the model in wireframe or hidden wire mode so that people can see the possible problem.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

Another solution would be to bevel the edges.

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Have you tried recalculate normals in blender edit mode?

• Sand3Sand3 Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

The normals are all on the outside, yes, and triangulating it only shoved the shadow further into the corner, it's still there, it's just shorter now.