Daz Studio 3 advanced content in 4.6?? or how to install anything in 4.6 manually

macblaze737macblaze737 Posts: 0

So over the last few years ive been using studio 3, i've gathered a respectable little library of props,figures ect, Ive heard i can use that content in studio 4 (4.6) I just installed 4.6. i found the "my library" folder in document/daz3d/studio4/, can i just drop my old runtime in it and set up the same file tree as i had in studio 3? if not can anyone provide a photo or pdf of the filetree i need to create to use at least some of my old content?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Yes, or even easier just add the DS3 content folder to DS4. DS4 will even do it automatically -- Content Library pane, options menu, Import Mapped Directories.

import_mapped_directories.jpg
    770 x 576 - 145K
  • macblaze737macblaze737 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ill definately give that a try. my only other question is how is the file structure tree set up for studio 4? is it the same? like runtime and all the folders in the same structure or are there others i need to place elsewhere? is there a picture of the filetree i can look at?

edited December 1969

like this image but for daz studio 4. i had an issue with the download manager, so i downloaded genesis directly from the website but it doesn't come with an installer so i have no framework to build off of. Ive been trying to catch glimpses of other peoples on youtube tutorials but that didn't give me much

CobraFileTreeBrowser.jpg
    630 x 524 - 71K
    CobraFileTreeBrowser.jpg
    630 x 524 - 71K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

Just MOVE the DS3 content folder and then point DS4.6 to it in the paths. I put my old DS3 content folder on my F drive. It all loads and runs. As far as I know the DS3 content structure is still followed except for the Genesis only Items. I use one content folder for Genesis only on my PC.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

ok thank you.....so im going to move my ds3 content folder to ds4's "my library folder and whenever i find out how to install a genesis character it needs its own separate runtime or c0ntent or my library folder...sooo any other ds4 content goes in my old ds3 folder??........ maybe maybe ill just delete ds4 and wait a few years for a decent tutorial to come out. you'd think by now they'd have made a decent tutorials showing at least the directory structure in one of them. even daz3d's own 4.6 help me documents points you to a 5 year old video full of comments from angry DS4 users who are hitting the same wall. WERE VISUAL PEOPLE SHOW US SOMETHING VISUAL! it would take 1 guy 20 minutes max to screen capture and upload. The programmers did their jobs very well. Whoever is in charge of the customer support side of this business is slacking.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

The DAZ Studio content structure has never changed since day 1. As long as DS content is placed within a known content folder then it will not matter what the folder tree looks like. You can easily have DS3 content, DS4 content and poser runtimes all share the same space.

To use my own setup as an example, I have a folder called "Content" on my E: Drive. Its exact location is irrelevant.

Within that folder is my Poser Runtime folder plus multiple other folders containing different DS content. The Data folder is there as well which is important cause if its not there, the DS content will not load.

WHen I download new Genesis content or poser content, I unpack the zip file and manually reorganize things to the way I like it. Keep in mind that I do not touch anything in the Data folder for DS content or anything in the poser hierarchy that should not be moved. Then I repack each so I dont have to redo it and install directly from the new zip. i also keep the new zip instead of the old one. I did the same with the old installers.

How you organize your content is up to you. As long as the poser content uses the correct folder tree layout your fine and as long as DS content all sits in content folder then all is well. Just make sure you go into the DS settings and tell it where that content folder is then all will be fine.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I never said merge the Folders. I have one folder ON F: for DAZ3 Named Content and Another on F: for DS4.6 named My DAZ 3D Library. I just MAPPED both folders to my DS4.6. It all works, I have in Content Library Tab> Daz Studio Formats> Both listed to load from. The Same in the Poser Formats section.

edited December 1969

Thank you both for your replys, and I have mapped my DS3 library and all 20,000 of my poser contents shows up in DS4. either i never had any daz content or i never installed it right in the past lol. this is the first i've ever heard of this data folder being important, I've re-organized my daz folder many times over my last 3 computers. at some point i must have deleted that one. So far DS4 seems alot like DS3 just with a better GUI. Even though the lack of technical information is frustrating , I'll man up and quit bitching about it lol. Thanks again you've been very helpful =)