Refraction in omnifreaker's shaders

wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

So, I'm playing around with Bluebird's A Bright Loft and I thought, this set is perfect for testing out new materials. Unfortunately, I'd run into a little snag when trying out to simulate glass. Refraction in DS4 behave differently compared to DS3.

Below you can see a render I made of the dining table of the default furnished set (minus the candles in the center of the table). Notice the base of the glasses - as the get further away from the camera, it gets darker.

Anyone know of a good thread/info about configuring refraction in DS4.6 or 3delight in general?

Thanks

2_1.jpg
1280 x 720 - 183K

Comments

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

Some renders of the set.

3_1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 202K
    1_1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 209K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,971
    edited December 1969

wowie said:
    So, I'm playing around with Bluebird's A Bright Loft and I thought, this set is perfect for testing out new materials. Unfortunately, I'd run into a little snag when trying out to simulate glass. Refraction in DS4 behave differently compared to DS3.

Below you can see a render I made of the dining table of the default furnished set (minus the candles in the center of the table). Notice the base of the glasses - as the get further away from the camera, it gets darker.

Anyone know of a good thread/info about configuring refraction in DS4.6 or 3delight in general?

Thanks

You may need to up raytrace depth a little: try 6 or 8?

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited September 2013

For the table shot, max ray trace depth is already at 8. Anything below that and parts will show up darker.

The general problem I'm having is trying to 'balance' out the refracted parts. I think the base of the glass closest to the camera is too bright. But when I fiddle either with the refraction index or opacity color, the whole glass darkens. Theoretically, I can make a map to adjust the opacity color, but I'd rather ask not do it that way. However, I don't think that such a hack will work with such a scene since all the glass should behave the same, generally speaking.

Post edited by wowie on