Help with Error, can't find any solutions

artin.zartin.z Posts: 9

I installed 4.6 with genesis starter essentials and genesis 2 female starter essentials using DIM. I changed ALL the paths in DIM to my E:\ drive. To be honest, I don't get the difference between the two starter packs, but anyway. Whenever I open Daz 4.6, everything loads fine, except I get
"An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details."

So, checking the log file, everything seems to be loaded fine, there's some OpenGL stuff showing not initialized which I believe is fine, but right at the end of the file, I have these errors show up:

Error writing author data!
Total class factories: 1235
WARNING: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed
3D mouse support library could not be loaded.
Creating interface
Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport1.
Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport2.
Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport3.
Successfully created OpenGL viewport for Viewport4.
Executing startup script...
Started in: E:/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4
DAZ Studio Started
Creating Pixel Buffer
Pixel buffer - Width: 1024 Height: 1024
Compiling OpenGL Shader...
Fragment Shader:
Fragment Shader compiled successfully.
Linking Shader:
Shader Program successfully linked.

Loading Startup Scene : E:/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf
Error reading file, see log for more details.

I can't find any relevant information on these errors above online, so hopefully somebody can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and make sure the path you're using in DIM is listed under both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats". And in Edit > Preferences > Startup, what do you have listed under startup scene?

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Mike, shouldn't that be looking for genesis.duf for the startup file? Not the .dsf?

• artin.zartin.z Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Under Content Director Manager, I have
    DAZ Studio Formats
    ---- E:/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library
    Poser Formats
    ---- C:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2014 (This was pointing to a different folder, now changed to point to root folder of Poser, not sure if it's supposed to be that path)

In my DIM, under applications, I have:
    DAZ Studio 4.5+ (64-bit) E:/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 (which is ever DAZ is installed by not the content library)
    Poser PRo 2014 (64-bit) C:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser 2014 (current folder where Poser is installed)

In My DIM, under Installation, I have:
    E:/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library

In the Startup Tab in Preferences,I have
    Load File E:/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3d Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf
    Show Plug-in Registration Dialog (checked)
    Show Welcome Page (checked)
    Show Scene Builder (checked)
    Show Metadata Import Page (checked)

In the Scene Tab in Preferences, I have
    Load File: None
    Create a "Default Camera" (not checked)

On "Fit To":
    Auto-Magnetize to figures with D-Forms (checked)

Background Colors
    Box 1 and 3 checked

Backdrop Image
    Box 2 checked

Render Settings:
    Box 2 checked

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes the Start up Scene in the DAZ Studio Preferences needs pointed to the Genesis .duf . I so wish they would UPDATE that code.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,476
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Yes the Start up Scene in the DAZ Studio Preferences needs pointed to the Genesis .duf . I so wish they would UPDATE that code.

But people would be annoyed if it removed a link to their own custom start up scene, which means it would need to be careful about what it replaced (and when - someone might have a geensis.dsf, customised, alongside the genesis.duf and want to load the former).

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

The easy way to fix this is to set the opening scene and the scene opended on 'New' to 'None'. Why do people want a new Genesis loading all the time?

• artin.zartin.z Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

If I was going to set it to point to the Genesis.duf? which one do I point it to? I don't have a "base" one like the Genesis.dsf. I don't care about customized genesis as I'm brand new and have none.

If this doesn't work, I will change it to none and see what happens.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,476
    edited December 1969

\People\Genesis.duf would be the basic figure, in whichever content directory you installed Genesis Starter Essentials to.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

artin.z said:
    So, checking the log file, everything seems to be loaded fine, there's some OpenGL stuff showing not initialized which I believe is fine, but right at the end of the file, I have these errors show up:

Just a quick note: most of the time, when you're hunting for an error like this, most of the log file can be ignored except for the last dozen or so lines. You're looking for whatever was wrong with the last operation carried out, and that'll always be right at the bottom of the log file.
    edited December 1969

My post was simply to get DAZ Studio to do the Default boot. Which is with Genesis loading at start as it is set to do, but the code has never been updated to the NEW duf file. If my helping users get DAZ Studio to boot on load in the default settings is no longer needed or seen as helpful to users that may not know the basics of DAZ Studio I simply shall not post my basic help when I think it might apply.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

The problem here seem to be that installing Genesis starter essentials to a brand new installation of DS 4,6, on a computer that has never had DS on it before, the program cannot find the genesis DSF, because there isn't one, yet the program is still looking for it.

I would imagine this confounds every new user, as it certainly confounded me, so I still don't have DS installed on my PC.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The problem here seem to be that installing Genesis starter essentials to a brand new installation of DS 4,6, on a computer that has never had DS on it before, the program cannot find the genesis DSF, because there isn't one, yet the program is still looking for it.

I would imagine this confounds every new user, as it certainly confounded me, so I still don't have DS installed on my PC.

This is how I read it too, Chohole.

As a workaround to satisfy everyone can a catch be put into DS to say "If there ain't no dsf go load me up a duf"?
    In my nooby eyes this would mean people with custom Genesis would be catered for (as they will have the dsf) and also new users would be catered for, since they don't.

Just my pocket worth! Don't anyone go hurtin' me!
    Barry.

edited October 2013

There is one but the default load scene at FIRST boot of DS is hunting the wrong file. The NEW Genesis.duf is what the CODE should point to but does NOT!. It is still coded to look for the genesis.dsf that came with the DAZ Studio 4.0 install. THAT needs fixed. That file, dsf, IS not the file supplied with the NOW separate Genesis Starter files that DAZ Studio is hunting On the VERY FIRST OPEN. It is the NEW DUF file.

Post edited by Jaderail on