Parenting and Repositioning - Help Please

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536

I've been having this problem for years with DAZ Studio and I don't know if I have just been missing something but, how can I parent an item WITHOUT it changing it's position in the scene? Or putting it back where it was? Parenting an item causes the coordinates to change, so copying-pasting the numbers isn't going to work. Any way I can tell DAZ to leave an item where it is, without it moving, after I parent it?

I'm currently trying to rotate some rocks my character is on, but if I parent the rocks to him, of course they move. It's kinda frustrating, especially if I spend a long time positioning items only to realize I forgot to parent them to my figure first!

Thank you for any assistance.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

I've been having this problem for years with DAZ Studio and I don't know if I have just been missing something but, how can I parent an item WITHOUT it changing it's position in the scene? Or putting it back where it was? Parenting an item causes the coordinates to change, so copying-pasting the numbers isn't going to work. Any way I can tell DAZ to leave an item where it is, without it moving, after I parent it?

I'm currently trying to rotate some rocks my character is on, but if I parent the rocks to him, of course they move. It's kinda frustrating, especially if I spend a long time positioning items only to realize I forgot to parent them to my figure first!

Thank you for any assistance.

Use right-click and change parent rather than just drag and drop in scene tab. The Change Parent dialogue has a "parent in place" option.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

"Parent In Place" is also in the Scene tab options menu — that's where I always use it (I can never remember which shows up when in the context menus).

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited December 1969

Thank you both!!! I don't know what I'd do without this forum! *\(^o^)/*