Parenting a figure to another figure?

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a scene where a big robot (a pose-able figure) picks up a character and carries her around the scene, and I thought I would ask how to go about this correctly before I get halfway through the animation to realize I did it improperly.

When I try to parent the character to the robot, weird things begin to happen with the fits on clothes and what not, so I'm guessing it's not as simple as it seems. Also, there's the matter of the pick up, or the transition from being two separate figures to being combined (somehow). Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,476
    edited December 1969

Parenting the figure to another shouldn't interfere with fitted or parented items on the original figure. Please post some screenshots showing what is happening, and say which application you are using.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the response! To clarify, I'm using Daz 4.5 (64 bit).

After some further examination I determined it was the Scale parameter of the robot causing the problem. If I scale him down to 100%, the V4 I'm trying to parent to him doesn't have any issues. I raised his scale up to 200% to exaggerate the problem and it became obvious that parts of the V4 were trying to scale as well. The 200% scale picture below shows this.

Any guesses as to a workaround?

Scale_200.jpg
    935 x 863 - 301K
    scale_100.jpg
    935 x 863 - 326K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,476
    edited December 1969

Odd, I am using the latest version (4.6.1.17) but when I parent Genesis to a scaled figure (Genesis 2 female) I either get no change (Parent In Place on) or the figure scales to match the parent (Parent in Place off). Is this happening whatever you use as a parent or is it unique(ish) to the robot?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

try creating a Null
    Create>Create New Null
    then from the content pane drag the figure and any clothing that uses the figure as a parent into the null
    parent the null to the robot.
    you may have to adjust any parented clothing to the scale of the figure if you make further modifications to its scale.

• edited December 1969

Richard, I tried to do what you did (parenting to a scaled Genesis figure) and I experienced the same thing you did, but the clothing fit was still wacky. I wonder if this is because V4 has no scale parameter? StratDragon's technique seems to have done the trick however, so I think I'm going to progress with that and see how it goes!

Thanks a lot guys!