Saving image as transparent

How can i save a Rendered image as transparent in Daz? There is no option for transparent Png in the Save list

Comments

• You need Draw Dome off, if using Iray, and no geometry in the areas you wiish to be transparent - if those are the case then a PNG or Tiff of an Iray or 3Delight render will have transparency or an alpha channel.

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 608
    edited February 2019

You need Draw Dome off, if using Iray, and no geometry in the areas you wiish to be transparent - if those are the case then a PNG or Tiff of an Iray or 3Delight render will have transparency or an alpha channel.

Nope. I tried that but on the render image it was no option to save it and and in the render editor saving it gave a black background

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • There was no save on the render window? How about File>Save Last Render?

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

You need Draw Dome off, if using Iray, and no geometry in the areas you wiish to be transparent - if those are the case then a PNG or Tiff of an Iray or 3Delight render will have transparency or an alpha channel.

Nope. I tried that but on the render image it was no option to save it and and in the render editor saving it gave a black background

What (if anything) did you have your Environment set to?

If you want a transparent background, it should be set to "None".

Also, make sure if you save the render as a PNG or TIFF image that the background is really black. Load it into an image editor. Sometimes I've been fooled because the thumbnail I see in the file explorer looks like the background is black, but it isn't really.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    edited February 2019

I asked a similar question (or touched on a similar issue) yesterday. I have found that if you have fiddled with the Environment Pane in any way, then TIFF saves will not work properly for the rest of that session - you have to shut down DAZ Studio and start again. I'm pretty sure this is the case on multiple computers that I've tested, and with multiple versions of DS - 4.8, 4.1 etc.

Also, if you save the scene to disk after fiddling with the Environment Pane in any way, whatever it is that switches off TIFF saves, is saved as well. So when you re-load that scene, bingo no transparent TIFF's.

The other thing, vaguely related, that I noticed recently is that the rendered TIFF's are not supported in at least one old image editor that I have - Photoshop 5. Renders come out with a black background that cannot be easily edited the way a transparent one can. Most people won't encounter this issue but anyway.

Post edited by Roman_K2 on
  • This was incredibly helpful. For it to work for me, I also noticed in Window -> Environment I had to toggle 'Visible in Render' Off for background...

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Richard Haseltine said:

There was no save on the render window? How about File>Save Last Render?

I've been using Studio for, what, two years now and I didn't know about that? 

• rrward said:

Richard Haseltine said:

There was no save on the render window? How about File>Save Last Render?

I've been using Studio for, what, two years now and I didn't know about that? 

We old hands have the advantage that there used not to be a save button on the render window. Indeed, when I were a lad we had to use a series of PEEK statements to read each byte of the render, write them down with a burnt stick on a slab of salte, and then combine the values into an image file.

• set environment to not visible at render.  
    set output to .png wink

sc.jpg
    466 x 356 - 32K

I noticed that when doing a Spot Render in DS 4.15 the incremental save feature of an Iray render is not available. Ergo it renders quite well, but you pretty much have to let the render finish completely before saving. You can't stop the process and "Save Last Render". Also I tend to set the render values high - high quality, high percentage, longest possible time. So if it's a little postage stamp sized piece of something that I wanted to re-do I pretty much have to make a screenshot of the render in progress, then crop the part I need and composite it down into my final picture (or facsimile thereof), in an image editor.

So far no real biggie but....

chifei.eifx_735f2073aa said:

set environment to not visible at render.

????

What does that do, exactly?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,333

Roman_K2 said:

I noticed that when doing a Spot Render in DS 4.15 the incremental save feature of an Iray render is not available. Ergo it renders quite well, but you pretty much have to let the render finish completely before saving. You can't stop the process and "Save Last Render". Also I tend to set the render values high - high quality, high percentage, longest possible time. So if it's a little postage stamp sized piece of something that I wanted to re-do I pretty much have to make a screenshot of the render in progress, then crop the part I need and composite it down into my final picture (or facsimile thereof), in an image editor.

So far no real biggie but....

Use Tool Settings to do your spot render to a new window, then you get all the usual Cancel/Save buttons