Categorize not working?!?

bringhobringho Posts: 239

Dunno if it's me but as I recall it the only thing one have to do to categorize a new material or shader is to right-click it in the Content library and select 'Categorize...' Then one selects the last entry in the tree and click 'Accept'?

It's just that nothing happens... The new material (or shader I've tried both) just won't be categorized...

What now?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

Are you seeing anything in Categories?

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Yes, the previously created materials and shaders are there. They are marked 'Material' and 'Shader' and when I select Categorize on any of them the tree lights up in white.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

That sounds like the problem is a corrupted database.

1) If you haven't exported user data recently, do that first, so you can restore the categories that are still working.
    2) Close DS and uninstall CMS.
    3) Reinstall CMS by running the installer in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\cms (if you have DIM installed) or by reinstalling DS. That will give you the latest CMS, which will reduce the chances of the problem recurring.
    4) Search for the file ContentDB.ind -- if you let CMS install to the default locations it will probably be in Program Files (x86) or ProgramData. I would search your entire hard drive with "Hidden and System Files" visible, in case you have more than one set of databases, which could also cause problems. That file is the index for the database.
    5) Stop CMS and delete ContentDB.ind, then start CMS and launch DS. Let DS rebuild the index -- it might take a minute or two.
    6) Scan for new content and categorize it.
    7) Close and restart DS, and see if the categorized items are staying. If they are, you should be good to go.
    8) If newly-categorized items are still disappearing, close DS, stop CMS, and delete all the files in the databases folder. Restart CMS, launch DS, and re-import metadata to get your user data back. It can take a long time, so don't panic if it seems to be taking a long time and the progress bar isn't moving.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Just to be sure that there is no misunderstanding, when doing a "Move Category..." then the highlighted colored folder is the target, but when doing a "Categorize..." you need to tick the checkboxes before the folder names to determine the target. Otherwise I don't have any problem with categorization myself at the moment, so not sure what else it could be.

• bringhobringho Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

I've been suspecting acorrupted database for a few'days so I'll rebuild the database... again...

Ijust wanted to make sureI had not forgot a simple step on the way.

Thanks for the fast response!