Some cr2s not importing?

RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 905

I recently got a ton of products from Poser World. My normal workflow on older stuff is to install it in DS3, categorize it, the migrate the database into DS4. This keeps my DS4 library 'clean'.

Anyway, only about half of the products showed up when I searched for new content. I found them in DS4 under poser files...

So, my question is this:

Why do some CR2s only show up as poser files but others can be categorized? Is there something I could edit in the cr2s to get the Daz database to recognize them so I can categorize them? I looked at one that did show up and one that didn't in Notepad++ but couldn't spot anything obvious.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited October 2013

I recently got a ton of products from Poser World. My normal workflow on older stuff is to install it in DS3, categorize it, the migrate the database into DS4. This keeps my DS4 library 'clean'.

Anyway, only about half of the products showed up when I searched for new content. I found them in DS4 under poser files...

So, my question is this:

Why do some CR2s only show up as poser files but others can be categorized? Is there something I could edit in the cr2s to get the Daz database to recognize them so I can categorize them? I looked at one that did show up and one that didn't in Notepad++ but couldn't spot anything obvious.

You have to categorize them and/or add metadata somehow and add 'tags'. Use the words you wish to search by for to find them with.

If I remember correctly, have to make them a 'product' first.

It's a rather complicated procedure and I for one have basically given up on it.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 905
    edited December 1969

That's why on older stuff I keep Daz 3 installed. I just 'search for products' then manually categorize them but they don't show up under search for products.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

That's very strange. Are you saying they don't show up in DS3 when you search for content? The contents of the .cr2 shouldn't make any difference -- DS is only looking at the locations and file extension to identify the files. What's the full path and file name of some of the files that don't show up? Do they show up in Folder view in DS3?

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 905
    edited December 1969

Color me embarrassed. I went looking very carefully through my content and found the missing stuff already categorized. I think what happened is I had downloaded it before a few months ago then went back and downloaded it again. Hmmmm...I do still have this problem legitimately for some older poser stuff but I suspect it is a case of stuff being put in the wrong folders since it always happens with stuff bought from other sites that are in zip packages.

Thanks!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

but I suspect it is a case of stuff being put in the wrong folders since it always happens with stuff bought from other sites that are in zip packages.

Do you usually unpack to a dummy folder before installing, or unpack directly into the content location? Using the dummy folder lets you see the actual folder names of your new stuff, so you at least know where to start looking for it. Direct installation leaves you open to the "what was that weird folder name" problem. Especially if your content collection is getting on the large side, it's easy to lose something new in the crowd.

It's also an opportunity for a final check on whether the actual folder structure itself is right. And unfortunately it isn't only freebies that let the occasional folder glitch slip through.