How do you make a Negative Controller?

BasisBasis Posts: 121

I'm trying to make a dial that effects one dial going towards the positive and effects the other dial when going to the negative.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to get the negative one to work.

How do I get it work like the Jaw side to side dial?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,480
    edited December 1969

In what, and how are you creating the controllers? One thing you want is to make sure you have limits on your morphs (assuming these are morphs) so that they can't dip below zero. Then if you are using some type of ERC you'd need a negative Scalar value for the minus direction so that when the control was positive it would be dragging the negative morph below zero, which the limits won't allow, and setting the positive morph to an allowed positive value while when the controller was negative it would be dragging the positive morph below zero, which the limits would stop, and pushing the negative morph to an allowed positive value.

• BasisBasis Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply.

I got it to work into the negative by first (or second) putting the range back to -1 to 1. (I'd first set them to 0 to 1.)

Then setting the dial into the negative. Then ERC freezing that dial via the editor with the controlling dial selected.

After that was done. The last step was to set the dials back to 0 to 1.

Putting it into the negative was counter intuitive but there is some symmetry to this. -1 + -1 vs 1 + 1 or -1 - -1 vs 1 - 1, either way the absolute value is consistent.

edited December 1969

As for the controllers, I'm using the Hexagon export in conjunction with the Advanced version of the morph building kit.

Using the Head as a controlling node. Set the head node dial to 'pose' and the use limits. Then made the controllers on the master 'shape' dials. Then hide the master dials. I think it looks cleaner that way.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Basis said:
    ... edit ... with the Advanced version of the morph building kit.
    ...edit ...

? is this part of the D/S beta release?

edited December 1969

Oh sorry for the late reply, I meant "Advanced" because the morph kit is defaulted to "Basic."

You have to manually turn on the Advanced Options under Preferences : Interface tab, and Bridges: -> Hexagon: Show Advanced Options.

It opens up a much nicer selection of tools.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Basis said:
    Oh sorry for the late reply, I meant "Advanced" because the morph kit is defaulted to "Basic."

You have to manually turn on the Advanced Options under Preferences : Interface tab, and Bridges: -> Hexagon: Show Advanced Options.

It opens up a much nicer selection of tools.

Oh gee ... here I was hoping for some nice new morphing tools lol ...

I haven't gotten into technical details for those dials yet ... but have noticed that in just making the morphs which appear to go from 0 to 100% [and saving them of course] when I re-open D/S and load the item with its new morphs, they automatically come back with both negative and positive space on the dials. [-100% > +100%]