Merging objects

meipemeipe Posts: 101

I was wondering about a limitation of the smoothing modifier... You can calculate collisions with one single object, but what if you need to collide with two objects? For example one guy getting punched and colliding with a piece of furniture. Manually, I suppose you could export the two props/figures as an obj (hiding all useless objects in the scene) and re-import them as a single one, to be kept hidden only for colliding computations. It's a bit tedious to do, do you know if merging 'posed' duplicates of objects could be done by script? Surely hiding/unhiding, exporting and re-importing can be done by script, but I mean, maybe there is something more straightforward?

Post edited by meipe on

Comments

• djigneodjigneo Posts: 283

Not as far as I know. I would speculate that the official response is that for anything more complex than smoothing dForce would be the tool to use for the job.

Usually I use dFormers for the sorts of scenarios you're describing, but I haven't not yet become exceptionally wise in the ways of dForce yet.

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

There is a script to ease up OBJ export with the option to export what is selected in the scene instead of what is visible. Download the script example DSA file, open it in a text editor and edit one or two lines as seen below. Save it under another name, select what should be exported, run the script and finaly import the OBJ back manualy.

Here you can download the script example:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/export_obj_silent/start

// Do not limit export to selection	oSettings.setBoolValue( "SelectedOnly", true );    //default:false set it to true for export what is selected--------------------------------------------------------------------------------    var bShowOptions = false;   //FALSE: the script runs Silent the last used path is used and the Label/Name? of the selected Item is used for filename

I was once discussing about it here:

How to export only selected clothing as an object in DS