Export Space Station & Cargo Ship to OBJ

QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

It is possible?

I would like to export the Space Station and Cargo Ship to OBJ so I can use it in other programs. Does anyone know if I can do this before I buy that Sweet Space Station while it's on sale?

I wish I had known it was going to be on sale before I spent my PC coupon!!

Thanks!!!

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

If I understand your question, you want to convert the picture of the Space Station and Cargo Ship to OBJ. I've seen both can be save as, but they're just going to be 2D pictures when saved. If you're after 3D you'll have to buy the package to get the OBJ files.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The Space Station and Cargo ship are in OBP format and are quite old models, probably made when Bryce 5 was current, as there is no Bryce version number on the product page.

There is a thread somewhere that gives hints and tips about doing what the OP wants to do. I just need to find it.

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    If I understand your question, you want to convert the picture of the Space Station and Cargo Ship to OBJ. I've seen both can be save as, but they're just going to be 2D pictures when saved. If you're after 3D you'll have to buy the package to get the OBJ files.

I'm not sure where I mentioned anything about saving pix. I'm sorry If I was misunderstood.

Of course I would purchase the package. But I know that the OBP format is exclusive to Bryce only. What I need to know is if once I purchase the items if I can convert them to OBJ files so I can import them into another program. textures are textures so I can work with them but that is a sweet looking station with a little cargo ship to boot.

Soooo can I?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The Space Station and Cargo ship are in OBP format and are quite old models, probably made when Bryce 5 was current, as there is no Bryce version number on the product page.

There is a thread somewhere that gives hints and tips about doing what the OP wants to do. I just need to find it.

I hope you find it. I asked this question before but wasn't given a definitive answer (I think. It's been a few years)

In the end I'm wondering if it might be simpler to import OBJ's into Bryce instead.

This is something that should've been a regular OBJ exportable file! I think you woulda sold a million of them!

edited December 2013

I import OBJs into Bryce all the time. It is how I get all my figures etc into Bryce.

To convert an OBP, if it can be done and still stay usable, you are going to have to do it in Bryce.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

The quick answer is "yes"
    The slightly longer answer is "it depends on how complex the model is and what it's made of"

I'm not familiar with the model you're referring to, but as a rule if you can load a model into Bryce, you can save it as an .obj

If it's made of Bryce primitives, they will most likely all need to be saved as a specific boolean before it will export though.
    And that can be the tricky part depending on how it's constructed.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I import OBJs into Bryce all the time. It is how I get all my figures etc into Bryce.

To convert an OBP, if it can be done and still stay usable, you are going to have to do it in Bryce.

I have Bryce, Hexagon, DAZ and Poser. You know sometimes the best way to do it is jump right in. I'm just behind on my bryce curve.

Still, it would be easy if I could export the OBJ. I just hoped that someone had bought the station and knew for sure. It looks like I'll be the first!!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Ah, okay I misunderstood you original question. Export Object allows you to export in any number of formats in the Export list, including .obj. But you should really take what The Savage said into consideration when you try and Export Object.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Ah, okay I misunderstood you original question. Export Object allows you to export in any number of formats in the Export list, including .obj. But you should really take what The Savage said into consideration when you try and Export Object.

I jumped right in and bought the model, loaded up Bryce exported it as an OBJ with no errors and it absolutely gave me NOTHING when I tried to import said model. I have the MTL, BMP and JPG in the same folder but nope, it is blank when I tried to export it into Poser.

It also crashed my Bryce! I don't really want a refund. I just want the space station to load and work.

FRAK!

edited December 1969

Is the model made out of regular Bryce Primitives (cubes and cylinders etc.)?

If so, it will all need turning into a Boolean by selecting each individual part and making positive and then grouping the whole thing together.
    If the model is already made using positive and negative grouped booleans, it becomes quite complicated.

edited December 1969

Is the model made out of regular Bryce Primitives (cubes and cylinders etc.)?

If so, it will all need turning into a Boolean by selecting each individual part and making positive and then grouping the whole thing together.
    If the model is already made using positive and negative grouped booleans, it becomes quite complicated.

How can I tell it is made out of anything? It looks as if it were handcrafted..

edited December 1969

Check the components of the model.

bryce_objects.jpg
    628 x 263 - 135K
    edited December 1969

That quick reply is huge. I don't mind doing the work but I'm lacking in all things bryce! Thanks!! I'll get right on it.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Another thing is that if it crashed or made Bryce hang, it could simply be because of the textures - try selecting the *.obp and giving the whole thing the basic Bryce grey as a material - then try exporting it again - sometimes this helps a lot.

edited December 1969

Another thing is that if it crashed or made Bryce hang, it could simply be because of the textures - try selecting the *.obp and giving the whole thing the basic Bryce grey as a material - then try exporting it again - sometimes this helps a lot.

That of course makes me worry. I mean I simply started up Bryce, selected the preset. Saw it on the workscreen and render. It should work right out of the box. I heard that DAZ is relentless about their testing. Still, I'll clean out memory, reboot and start fresh. My number one goal was to export it anyway. I need to check the positive and negative thing. It's just that if it couldnt be exported than it should tell me. Instead it exports out smooth to an OBJ which I thought was the most basic 3D format out there. I'll try 3DS as well and report back.

edited December 2013

If it is this one http://www.daz3d.com/space-station-cargo-ship then it does say that it is made from Bryce prims. It is an older model, probably dating back to Bryce 5.5 days.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    If it is this one http://www.daz3d.com/space-station-cargo-ship then it does say that it is made from Bryce prims. It is an older model, probably dating back to Bryce 5.5 days.

I think I could've hastened the help if I had been clearer from the start. That is exactly the model I purchased and the one I want to export. Let me check back to the other posts to see if it Bryce prims can be exported.

edited December 1969

Judging by the complexity of that model (very nice model by the looks of it), you're going to have a long and complicated job doing it, but yes Bryce Primitives can be exported when all components are grouped into a Boolean using the relevant positive and negative attributes (in the [A] menu you see at the side of a components when it is selected). I don't have time to explain now as it's 3.17am here and I have to be up at 8.00am for work. But I can walk you through the process if you have the time to wait and the patience to do it. :)

edited December 1969

Judging by the complexity of that model (very nice model by the looks of it), you're going to have a long and complicated job doing it, but yes Bryce Primitives can be exported when all components are grouped into a Boolean using the relevant positive and negative attributes (in the [A] menu you see at the side of a components when it is selected). I don't have time to explain now as it's 3.17am here and I have to be up at 8.00am for work. But I can walk you through the process if you have the time to wait and the patience to do it. :)

I have time and patience so I'm willing to go through the process. You have my thanks. To sync up time, I live on the West Coast of the USA and I have a ton of coffee for late night and early mornings so let me know when and I'm in!

If you need any other info just let me know!