Why won't daz render shadows?

DareDare Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

So, check out this image. It looks okay, at least from my end- except for one oddity.

There's absolutely no shadows! despite the fact that I have three spots and two diffuse lights out past the open window, nothing seems to be casting a shadow. How do I make DAZ perform like it -SHOULD?-

No_shadows!.png
1210 x 857 - 1M

Comments

• edited December 1969

Do you have shadows turned on, in the light parameters? It took me forever to figure that out when I was getting started. Select the light in the scene tab, then go to the parameter tab, and there should be a dropdown for shadows that you can set to 'off', 'deep shadow map', or 'raytraced'.

• DareDare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I turned them on and rerendered and the shadows are there. They're just so faint I need to use a magnifying glass to see them. Is there a way to -really- make them pop?

• edited December 1969

Check out where your lights are coming from, which ones are casting shadows, and how bright those lights are. Just like in real life, light from another source can disrupt the shadow you want. Except, in DS, sometimes which lights need to be casting shadows to get what you want is a little counterintuitive. I had a hell of a fight with some distants in a firelit scene, last month.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Shadow Softness also plays a factor. If you've got a light with a very high shadow softness, even if it is more intense than a light with a very low shadow softness, the higher value will be lost under the lower value.

In effect shadows layer by % of Softness (lower being stronger) then % intensity (higher being stronger).

Hopefully that makes sense. ^_^;;

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Oh and if you're using distant lights, well, they're not going to shine through that structure either... They're going to cast a shadow the width of the whole structure. :)

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

The dark red lighting such as you are using will "wash out " the shadows.

From what direction is the light coming and where do you want the shadows to fall?

If the light area in front of the figure is the source and the shadows are supposed to be behind the figure, you might want to try adding a point of spot in front of the figure. It will take some adjustments to color, intensity, ect but it may give you the stronger shadow you are looking for.