Wings 3D Tutorial: Creating a "Rolled" Sphere

Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

As promised, here's the most recent tutorial I've been working on.

Rolled Sphere in Wings 3D

More to come soon. Let me know if you have any questions. Art

Specular.jpg
700 x 700 - 295K

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Another nice tutorial, fencepost. And another one to work when time permits.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Thanks Fencepost, I've been waiting for this one. I did play with Wings but did not get this result.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Octane, Bryce and DS.

Thanks for the tutorial Art!

Art_wade_ball_light2_v1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 428K
    Art_Wades_Rolled_Sphere1_in_RTR1.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 401K
    Art_wades_minty_rolled_sphere1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 354K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 2013

You're welcome, everyone!

Mermaid: If there's something I can help you with, just give me a shout.

David: Those are some snazzy renders! I love how you're able to put them "in" the HDRI background. I really need to look into how to do that because it's really a nice touch. Like the gear texture on the DS version. Looks like the gears from the Treppenhalle series...

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 2013

You're welcome, everyone!

Mermaid: If there's something I can help you with, just give me a shout.

David: Those are some snazzy renders! I love how you're able to put them "in" the HDRI background. I really need to look into how to do that because it's really a nice touch. Like the gear texture on the DS version. Looks like the gears from the Treppenhalle series...

Getting things into HDRI background can be done in... well, at least one of four ways. What I'm currently working on with Horo and he is presently looking at is a one shot solution. It's not perfect, no method is perfect. This example for example, uses the pre-captured method which is the most labour intensive but I believe offers the most plausible results.

As for the gears. Well spotted. I've been faffing around in DS's Shader Mixer - it's not the render engine that lets DS down, it's the interface. It's so clunky and un-intuitive. Get over the interface and there is a decent little render engine, it's no Octane, but it's got a few nice features like SSS and it can handle transparency well, on balance I don't think it is particularly slow or fast - depends what you do with it. The way the content though is stored and addressed though is a total nightmare! Still no system is perfect, Bryce has massive source files - but at least you know where everything is - in the source file! Octane is a little better - relative addressing make life easier. Still... learning new stuff is always useful. If it were not for faffing with DS and Octane, I wouldn't have had half the idea's I get for novel ways of doing things in Bryce.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@David - the DS render has a bit of shadow but I think it's wrong, hiding the reflections on the floor. Octane and Bryce renders look fine. To make a valid comparison, all three should have the same backdrop and light.

@fencepost52 - the backdrop is not the problem, the shadows are.

I've been working the whole day testing three shadow capture schemes on 9 different setups. The workload differs, so do the results.

edited December 1969

Thanks, guys! I've seen a couple of your shadow capture tutorials on youtube and have put them in my watch later list.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @David - the DS render has a bit of shadow but I think it's wrong, hiding the reflections on the floor. Octane and Bryce renders look fine. To make a valid comparison, all three should have the same backdrop and light.

@fencepost52 - the backdrop is not the problem, the shadows are.

I've been working the whole day testing three shadow capture schemes on 9 different setups. The workload differs, so do the results.

Aye you are right about DS. I think I have this fixed in later tests. I will share the results with you once you are done with your own tests. Been deep into Shader Mixer today...

edited December 1969

@fencepost: I finally had time to work your latest tutorial, another nice one. I did find something, which I think mermaid is referring to, when using the number you indicate for Extruding and Shell Extruding. You show to use 0.5 for both Extruding and Shell Extruding but this number does not give what you show in your tutorial. My first image below shows the results of using this number. So I put on my lab coat and tried 0.05, which I found gives the same results as you show in the tutorial. My other images below were made using 0.05.

@David: Love your Rolled Sphere image results, really sharp. And the material with the gears is quite nice.

I gave fencepost's tutorial a try and the images below are my results. In the tutorial fencepost shows using 0.5 for the Extruding and Shell Extruding number but it results in what's seen in my first image; and my last one. Using 0.05 gives the results as seen in the tutorial, which is used in the middle two images. About the last image, I was having trouble saving it in the Objects Library and was playing around with this and that in order to figure out why all two parts weren't being saved. So I thought back to one of David's tutorials where he applied a color to the object just to see how things were doing, and applied two auto material colors. Well, that lead to an idea, which lead to an idea, which came out the way you see.

Rolled_Sphere_5.png
    757 x 757 - 599K
    Rolled_Sphere_3.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Rolled_Sphere_2.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Rolled_Sphere_1.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @fencepost: I finally had time to work your latest tutorial, another nice one. I did find something, which I think mermaid is referring to, when using the number you indicate for Extruding and Shell Extruding. You show to use 0.5 for both Extruding and Shell Extruding but this number does not give what you show in your tutorial. My first image below shows the results of using this number. So I put on my lab coat and tried 0.05, which I found gives the same results as you show in the tutorial. My other images below were made using 0.05.

I'll bet you are absolutely correct, Guss. Darnit! I proofed that video 3 times before uploading. Too bad you can't upload a revised video and keep the URL/comments, etc. I will go in and add comments at the appropriate spots. Thanks for the catch.

@Mermaid: If Guss is correct (and I believe he is), please accept my apology for the confusion. I try my best to make sure my stuff is right. Fortunately, that was the ONLY time I was wrong yesterday! LOL

Great work on the renders! #2 and 4 are my favorites.

edited December 1969

@fencepost: Yeah, three is a bit wonky, but I liked the look.

edited December 2013

Fencepost - Wow I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make this object. I spent many hours trying to get similar results using David’s armoured ball video. I was not referring to your tutorial when I mentioned I was "playing with wings". I also came across the error Guss mentioned and realized the mistake.

A simple render showing both 1 from your tut and 1 using David's. Thanks for the tutorial.

David and Guss lovely renders.

rollerballs.jpg
    700 x 350 - 26K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Aye you are right about DS. I think I have this fixed in later tests. I will share the results with you once you are done with your own tests. Been deep into Shader Mixer today...

Thank you, I need the time. Hopefully I'll be able to make a video for you today.

@GussNemo - nice results, I like the red-blue one most. The reflections are just great.

@mermaid010 - these came out very nice. The default Bryce sky is a bit - well, unfortunate.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

@mermaid010 - these came out very nice. The default Bryce sky is a bit - well, unfortunate.

Yes it is unfortunate, ;-) I did a quick render as I am eager to try David's chrome effect and the light projecting tutorials.

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you. Love your Rolled Sphere results, as well as David's. I just got to thinking, when you mentioned the error in fencepost's tut, perhaps we shouldn't consider them errors. Maybe we should consider them just oopses, because as my last image shows, something rather nice can be created.

@Horo: Thank you very much. The material on the ground plain is an automotive tan/light gray/or whatever color it's called, with your Open Garage Door HDRI. And a bit of tinkering. I too was surprised by the results. That image is a cost saver. All but your HDRI are auto parts and no gas is required.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: Thank you. Love your Rolled Sphere results, as well as David's. I just got to thinking, when you mentioned the error in fencepost's tut, perhaps we shouldn't consider them errors. Maybe we should consider them just oopses, because as my last image shows, something rather nice can be created.

You are correct you know, I shouldn't call it an error. So many times while doing David's tutorials while extruding or intruding I end up with some very alien shapes. ;)

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

I modeled mine in hexagon, although not perfectly

now I'm messing around with some HDRI renders in bryce.

fdgfgdfg.png
    794 x 707 - 875K
    sfgfgf.png
    632 x 611 - 216K
    ggffdd.png
    632 x 611 - 186K
    Post edited by useroperator on
    edited December 1969

@user.operator - great, last one came out particularly nice. Though I do have Hex, I'd wish to be able to also use it.

edited December 2013

Horo said:
    @user.operator - great, last one came out particularly nice. Though I do have Hex, I'd wish to be able to also use it.

the first 2 are just hexagon ambient occlusion renders. but yeah, the HDRI came out pretty nice....could have more potential with tweaking though, as the scene only had a single minor tweaked light source, a plain gray backdrop, the hdri file loaded without tweaking any settings from default, and all the premium rendering effects except 'blurry transmissions'. so for the work put into it (or lack thereof) and considering it's my first HDRI render, yeah it turned decent enough.

it's really hard to make a choice on what to render and which HDRI to work with, mostly because there's soo many configurations of textures and HDRI files to experiment with.

edited December 2013

@Mermaid: Glad my video wasn't the culprit. Your renders look great!

@user.operator: Nice work and thanks for sharing your results! I think the first is my favorite. Even though I like shiny things, that one really pops for me. How well did the steps transfer over from Wings to Hexagon? I've thought about getting Hexagon, but have focused my energies towards Wings.

@GussNemo: So your last render was created using the .5? I thought it might be, but I couldn't tell. My work monitors tend to be darker (need to recalibrate the settings) and I wasn't sure. I really like the outcome and since it looks good and you got the instructions from my tutorial....in the words of PeeWee Herman, "I meant to do that!" LOL

So which tutorial should I do next? Armored sphere or the "star sphere" I posted here? Wooden Star Sphere

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

So which tutorial should I do next? Armored sphere or the "star sphere" I posted here? Wooden Star Sphere

Thanks I enjoyed doing the tutorial. I vote of the star sphere. Thanks in advance

@user.operator: Nice work, I like the last one.

edited December 2013

@user.operator: Nice work and thanks for sharing your results! I think the first is my favorite. Even though I like shiny things, that one really pops for me. How well did the steps transfer over from Wings to Hexagon? I've thought about getting Hexagon, but have focused my energies towards Wings.

hexagon, other than some minor bugs and stability issues, is a pretty good modeler. I just tend to save more often. It was from my perspective, maybe slightly easier/quicker than the wings method. I think of hexagon as akin to photoshop because of its UI.

the easiest way to describe the first one is a soft organic look. hexagon tends to render things kind of like they're pictures from an electron microscope.

I think hexagon has some potential for coming up with new shapes/patterns, and tinkering with existing ones.

dfgfgdfg.png
    911 x 755 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@user.operator: Really like your results, especially the last image you posted. I have Hexagon, have tried it a few times, but never thought of using it to render with. May have to give it a try.

@fencepost: Shiny things are nice, especially when the entire image turns out well. Your Wooden Star Sphere looks like a variation of some others we've seen so I'd, personally, like to see how it's made. I'm a sucker for new video tutorials, especially if they're slow enough to read. Hint, hint...:lol:

edited December 2013

GussNemo said:
    @user.operator: Really like your results, especially the last image you posted. I have Hexagon, have tried it a few times, but never thought of using it to render with. May have to give it a try.

the rendering control is very limited. you can't change the light source or anything like that (unless I just don't know how). you get over several render presets (of which about 3-4 are worthwhile for most uses), and having too many objects in the scene makes it difficult to render up close, causes the colors to brighten/wash out. not to mention the height you have your object changes the way it renders a little, and objects above others can alter the render of objects below them. but it is good for quick decent renders if you use it right.

edited December 1969

@user.operator - I like how the latest sphere looks.

edited December 1969

@user.operator: O ho, I see my problem, I wan't using Hex right. :-) I did use Hex to make the rope for my pull toy (go to Gallery, type in GussNemo and look in the Object folder) when it was under construction, but haven't taken the time since to do much more; have enough trouble learning Bryce. :-)

edited December 2013

here goes something a little off topic that I got sidetracked with while trying to come up with a new sphere type.

alien ribcage and spine.

also, here's a slightly twisted version of the sphere.

bfgff.png
    425 x 410 - 110K
    sdfsdfsdfsgsd.png
    926 x 698 - 989K
    edited December 1969

Nice experimentation!

edited December 1969

@user.operator: I thought of two things when I saw your first latest image, exhaust pipes and deformed paper clips. Some nice things are the result of experimentation. The second one also looks nice.

edited December 1969

@user.operator - like GussNemo, I see exhaust pipes or a strange sledge. I like the asymmetry on the sphere.