• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

this ones a little harder to follow in hexagon lol

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

:D Time to pull out Wings!

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Uh... Is this a good forum to post Blender modeling tutorials, Chohole?

Like Wings3D, Blender is cross-platform, open source, created and currently supported by Nordic dudes, and not made by DAZ3D.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fencepost: T h a n k y o u f o r g o i n g s l o w e r, i t r e a l l y h e l p e d.:lol: That is another great tutorial. I even figured out how you did the small triangles in your initial image. And experimented with shell extruding setting on a third sphere I made.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Thanks fencepost52, very interesting, downloading it now.

I did your last tut, and it was fun. Keep 'em coming :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    Uh... Is this a good forum to post Blender modeling tutorials, Chohole?

Like Wings3D, Blender is cross-platform, open source, created and currently supported by Nordic dudes, and not made by DAZ3D.

If it is a tutorial that has cross interest with Bryce, like the Wings ones which are about making models to render in Bryce, then I guess it would be fine.

If, on the other hand, it is pure Blender tuts then they would be better in Nuts and Bolts, and then linked to here.

edited December 2013

GussNemo said:
    @fencepost: T h a n k y o u f o r g o i n g s l o w e r, i t r e a l l y h e l p e d.:lol: That is another great tutorial. I even figured out how you did the small triangles in your initial image. And experimented with shell extruding setting on a third sphere I made.

I did my very best! LOL I figured once most people got to working on the model, they'd be able to incorporate various other shapes into as well, so I left out the little triangles part. Glad you were to do that and I look forward to seeing your renders.

Thanks fencepost52, very interesting, downloading it now.

I did your last tut, and it was fun. Keep 'em coming :)

You're very welcome and thanks for trying them out and providing me with feedback. Have you posted your renders here in the Bryce forum?

If it is a tutorial that has cross interest with Bryce, like the Wings ones which are about making models to render in Bryce, then I guess it would be fine.

If, on the other hand, it is pure Blender tuts then they would be better in Nuts and Bolts, and then linked to here.

If I'm putting these in the wrong section, please feel free to move them accordingly and let me know where I should really be posting. I thought about posting in a part of the forum where they could be seen by all DAZ users without having to come here, but I figured that since I only use Bryce and don't hardly ever venture into the other forums (not enough time, I'm comfortable here, etc.) this would be as good a place as any. I apologize in advance if they really should be elsewhere. I aim to please, although my aim isn't always spot on. :)

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You're fine, because they are all being rendered in Bryce, and everyone else is doing the same.

edited December 1969

Very good! Thank you!

edited December 2013

Okay, so I finally added material to the spheres I made, using fencepost's tutorial. Below are a few examples.

Star_Sphere_Tur_Small_Insert.png
    757 x 757 - 603K
    Star_Sphere_DB_Medium_Insert.png
    757 x 757 - 598K
    Star_Sphere_DB_Insert.png
    757 x 757 - 585K
    Star_Sphere_Shell.png
    757 x 757 - 607K
    Star_Sphere_Blonde_Inserts.png
    757 x 757 - 584K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 2013

I loaded it into hexagon after modeling in wings. in hex, it's hard to model such things because some of the commands are different, it's easy to distort faces and I'm not sure where to find the sabo whatchamacallit. but it is pretty easy to make.

gdfsdgf.png
    797 x 689 - 199K
    Post edited by useroperator on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 2013

Thanks Fencepost for the tutorial something to play with later or this weekend.

Guss-wow lovely shapes and renders

User.operator - looks nice, I like the distorted look.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 2013

very hard to choose between textures.

ghddghdgh.png
    1112 x 797 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you.

@user.operator: Those are looking very nice, especially the shiny one.

edited December 2013

I wish I had a 3d printer....I'd print out all kinds of stuff like this.

I've got a 4 hour render running of this version in glass form

fgghgg.png
    560 x 488 - 136K
    edited December 1969

Those are some mighty fine renders, Guss and user! The materials you used, user, a cool plastic-like substance. :)

edited December 1969

@user.operator: Your last sphere is super.

@fencepost: Why, thank ye sar.

edited December 1969

My star spheres–1st obscure lighting using the Furka hdri, 2nd Regular render using IceFire Hdri

Thanks Fencepost for the cool tutorial :-)

starspheres2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 32K
    starspheres.jpg
    600 x 600 - 45K
    edited December 2013

mermaid gave me an idea for a new approach.

gdgdfgdfg.png
    795 x 664 - 231K
    dfsdff.png
    601 x 566 - 170K
    edited December 1969

Nice renders, mermaid, and you're welcome for the tutorial!

mermaid/user: Way to take the shapes to another place and make them your own. That's what it's all about. With graphics, the question, "What if?", is the best thing you can do and can be corrected with an undo (or many of them!!! LOL). If you're like me and have no real world mechanical skills, "what if?" is NOT a good idea!!!!!!

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Both of those images are great. The spheres in the last image look like sleigh bells.

@user.operator: Adding the color in your second image really makes the entire sphere stand out. Nice work.

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just some examples of other solids as modified "Star Spheres". I did each one of the basic solids in Wings3d and these are the basic renders. The original solid is just the default gray. The sphere is colored with the material out of Wings3d but the diffuse color of the parts of the sphere is changed to either full red or full blue. The ground plane is based on a material I cribbed from one of David Brinnen's videos (Funky Metal to Funky Glass if I recall). The scenes are light the same way: solid gray skydome and obscure TA lighting setup. These five are the Tetrahedron, the Octahedron, the Octotoad, the Dodecahedron, and the Icosahedron. I will post the cube versions in another post.

Tetrahedron_with_Spherized_Tetra.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 436K
    Octotoad_with_Spherized_Octotoads.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 479K
    octahedron_with_spherized_octahedron.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 447K
    Icosahedron_with_Spherized_Icosahedron.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 421K
    Dodecahedron_with_Spherized_Dodecahedron.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 442K
    edited December 1969

Wow Dangerlad, that's so cool.

edited December 1969

And now the Sphere-ized cubes. Same deal as the other solids in lighting and materials however I did modify the resultant sphere a little. I tried to combine the instructions for the Star Sphere with David Brinnen's for creating scaffold like lattices in objects. I did 5 different workings of the spherized cube each one is a slightly different method at combining the two sets of instructions as well as combining the two parts or the object.

Spherized_Cube5.jpg
    700 x 700 - 351K
    Spherized_Cube4.jpg
    700 x 700 - 360K
    Spherized_Cube3.jpg
    700 x 700 - 333K
    Spherized_Cube2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 353K
    Spherized_Cube1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 350K
    edited December 1969

These final two renders are the 5th spherized cube the first is done in the same manner as the other 4. The second render is light using Horo's Goldren Lighting HDRI and changing the material of the sphere a little. I added a specular component as well as anstropic effect (all though I don't see it). I REALLY like how the second render came out.

Spherized_Cube5a.jpg
    700 x 700 - 470K
    Spherized_Cube5.jpg
    700 x 700 - 351K
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad: Those really turned out well. Like the lattice insert.