Question for David Brinnen (or anyone who knows)

Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I'm working on this pack shot render at the moment and the real packing has a metallic silver print on it.
The word "ONCE" on the label is printed in silver, not mirrored but certainly metallic and with a dull reflection.

So I made an alpha channel type picture with the silver bits on and tried placing it in the second channel of the mat lab to add a bit of reflection to the silver parts but it doesn't work like that does it. From what I remember, there is a way to put it in the third channel and set a blend in channel 2 so that you can retain the diffuse colour while adding reflection... But can't for the life of me remember how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated thanks. :)

OncePacksALT.jpg
920 x 1300 - 244K

Comments

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Other way around, Savage.

White in Channel A, Silver Channel B, C is used to adjust the blend between A and B.

However, you might be better off using two alpha maps, one for white text, one for silver. Or, perhaps, intersecting the text you want silver with a silver object.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks Oroboros... I'll give that a try.

I've got the whole colour label in channel A, a silver grit in channel B and my alpha mask for the silver parts in channel C.
    That seems to have worked.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

The difference is subtle but it is now more accurate to the actual product packaging.
    Now just have to adjust the lighting and reduce the specularity a bit and it's done.
    Thanks again.

OncePacksALT2.jpg
    920 x 1300 - 164K
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Smooth mate, really smooth :)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Looks like you plugged that hole Dave. ;-)