Need help with the export of a 3D character into C4D

Hi everybody,

I'm new on Dazstudio and I'd like to use it with Cinema 4D. I've recently bought a model in the shop here, but I've a problem with the export and import into C4D. I've added a pose to my character but when I import it in C4D a part of the character doesn't get the pose. Here's my problem in image: https://gyazo.com/1187ec367b4b79703779f65170260d99

Thanks,

David

Comments

• What format are you using? If it's FBX, what are you selecting in the options dialogue?

• Yeah I exported it in .fbx Here's the setttings I've used: https://gyazo.com/56052775ccc72891aac92bbd4c5cda25

• Ah, it's a Geometry Shell rather than a fitted outfit. I suspect that may be the issue, those are a feature that is DS-specific (other applications may have similar things, but they are not identical and I would doubt FBX knows how to describe them in a way that would carry over). If that is the root of the issue I'm not sure what you could do, other than perhaps replacing the shell with a second full figure.

• Sorry I don't really understand what you're saying and what's the problem. So in fact with this model I can't use pre-made pose or even adjust myself the post of the character? Sorry not understanding everything, english is not my main language.

• I am not sure, but I suspect that the Geomentry Shell - the Synthoid part - is exporting without a pose. In Daz Studio it updates to match the current pose of the Genesis figure, but either FBX cannot report that or Cinema 4D does not know what to do about it. Unfortunately I do not have Cinema 4D so there is not much testing I can do or advice I can give.

• pdr0pdr0 Posts: 204

When you use FBX, the geo shell is exported as a static prop because it's not actually rigged (it's just a duplicate mesh with offset)

For workarounds - If you just have a static pose (1 frame) , you can export obj . For animations, if you can use obj+mdd (if you have animate2 plugin), or alembic (if you have alembic plugin) . The obj or alembic is a "baked" mesh - so you lose the rigging of FBX . But on the other hand you get the full quality subdivided HD mesh with JCM's applied

The way it works for obj export in DS, is the default option means it ignore items that have visibility disabled (ignore invisible nodes option is checkmarked in the obj export dialog options). So one way of organizing this is 2 exports , 1 for geo shell (uncheckmark the visibility eye for the character), 1 for character (uncheckmark the visibility eye for geo shell recheckmark for the character) . This helps you organize material sections later in other programs .

• I've tried to export it as .obj but when I import it in C4D I've got this: https://gyazo.com/a083b3201fc8e81df5c4936fcddb1a5d The character is really really small (0.002 cm high) and he is transparent. When I delete all the material I've just the main mesh of the character: https://gyazo.com/ddea9ec0227d60cc63f0b8c34a64a37e 

• madsergiomadsergio Posts: 8
    edited August 2019

You can try to use to transfer the DS model to C4D the I/O plugins from Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro, they work great - https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/downloads.aspx

01.jpg
    441 x 645 - 58K
    02.jpg
    441 x 645 - 55K
    Post edited by madsergio on
  • pdr0pdr0 Posts: 204

You have to relink the textures and adjust the materials in other programs no matter what format you chose (obj, fbx etc...)  , in just about every program when exporting from DS .

Usually only the diffuse layer is specified when you specify the collect maps/textures option; so you have to dig into the acutal runtime directory . It's a big pain to do it properly - and it is different for different rendering engines. At minimum you probably want to adjust diffuse, specular, bump, normals +/- displacement if your character has it . SSS is handled differntly by different renderers

By default, parts of the mesh are transparent for a geoshell , because those areas are supposed to "invisible" . The geoshell is just a duplicate of the character, but the mesh is pushed out (offset) a small amount . So you also have to remap the geoshell textures for proper transparency as well.

You might have chosen the wrong scale on export settings (100% is usual; you probably chose 1%).

The default obj importer in C4D will split the mesh; if you use riptide pro plugin for C4D you have other options such as single mesh, material zones

• AuroratrekAuroratrek Posts: 218
    madsergio said:

You can try to use to transfer the DS model to C4D the I/O plugins from Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro, they work great - https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/downloads.aspx

Hi, sorry to resurrect this thread, but Madsergio, have you had success with exporting a Daz animated figure to C4D with Ultimate Unwrap? I seem to be able to get the mesh, and a pose, and the animated bones/rig, but the bones/rig animates without the mesh. Can you tell me the settings I need to make this work?

Thanks!

• It is simply ridiculous that in an official forum, members of DAZ do not answer simple questions about the software they produce. To find something on how to export a simple character to Cinema 4d, with his clothes and animation, we have to waste days searching the internet for things outside of this forum.

Developers ignore their community.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2020

These forums are provided for the community.  They are peer to peer coversation.  If you want/need to speak to Daz then you need to contact Daz directly by using the Contact Us button - found at the bottom of each page of the site -  and filing a help request 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • can you please post the link again or a desciption of the settings used to solve this issue thanks, as the page you posted is not found

Thanks

• Same error , and quoting Jeronimo : 

It is simply ridiculous that in an official forum, OR EVEN IN HIS WEBSITE  members of DAZ do not answer simple questions about the software they produce. To find something on how to export a simple character to Cinema 4d, with his clothes and animation, we have to waste days searching the internet for things outside of this forum.

Developers ignore their community.