Dapper Troll

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

Ever

Nature Calls

• David RDavid R Posts: 276

FirstBastion said:

Ever

Very romantic.  Why the "AI GEN" watermark? 

I am strongly in the "NO AI" camp for the ethical issue that were brought up re: training and infringement,  but recognized that nothing is stopping the tidal wave of this new tech,  so have been using and developing the skills since the end of 2022. 

I just feel AI art that is made by a computer should be clearly labelled as such.  Even if I prompted the thing into existence,  it is not really my artwork. 

Obviously our 3D renders are also "made by a computer"  and photohop filters and actions are also "made by a computer".   It is all a little bit much to be singling out AI generation,  but at a core level I see it as different.  All those other tasks that used a computer though, required some technical skills or creative talent to achieve the results.  The computer artist had to work at it.

With AI generation,  it literally is a "make art" button.   So any hack can now output reams of content in no time at all. And at similar quality to other more gifted artists.   That's the thing that bothers the artist most.  All those years of work and dedication  developing a craft and talent is now moot.

So self labelling these AI Generated images  is my small attempt to acknowledge the artists that are affected by these tumultuous changes.  No biggie. We all get to the future eventually.

These are comments by me from my AI thread here when asked a similar question:   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/684596/1stbees-trials-and-piles-promptly

Metal

FirstBastion said:

I am strongly in the "NO AI" camp for the ethical issue that were brought up re: training and infringement,  but recognized that nothing is stopping the tidal wave of this new tech,  so have been using and developing the skills since the end of 2022. 

I just feel AI art that is made by a computer should be clearly labelled as such.  Even if I prompted the thing into existence,  it is not really my artwork. 

Obviously our 3D renders are also "made by a computer"  and photohop filters and actions are also "made by a computer".   It is all a little bit much to be singling out AI generation,  but at a core level I see it as different.  All those other tasks that used a computer though, required some technical skills or creative talent to achieve the results.  The computer artist had to work at it.

With AI generation,  it literally is a "make art" button.   So any hack can now output reams of content in no time at all. And at similar quality to other more gifted artists.   That's the thing that bothers the artist most.  All those years of work and dedication  developing a craft and talent is now moot.

So self labelling these AI Generated images  is my small attempt to acknowledge the artists that are affected by these tumultuous changes.  No biggie. We all get to the future eventually.

These are comments by me from my AI thread here when asked a similar question:   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/684596/1stbees-trials-and-piles-promptly

I tend to agree.  And I'm frankly surprised by the number of artists who've been wooed by the siren song of AI. People who've given up DAZ or even painting and drawing in favor of the "art" button.  Whenever I've tried AI I end up disappointed.  Maybe if I took more time with it, but frankly it holds no fascinaton  for me, and there are things I'd rather do.

In any case, This couple will never be AI. laugh

Given we have the tools,  going to 3D route  offers so much more control with the assets and story telling possibilities.  You are developing a great sequential art story,  and Kurt and Charlotte are great characters.  

High School Confidential

Defender

Daily Routine Workout

Finding the Words

edited May 29

Cornered, but not Caught

Post edited by FirstBastion on

Nature

edited June 12

Next Door

edited June 12

Resilient

edited June 12

Right Place, Wrong Time

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

FirstBastion said:

I agree. The thing is us artists get an idea. Just an idea . . . a thought. Later that idea/thought becomes alive in our imagination and we can see the end result in our minds. When we humans design art, we have a vision and we use tools to create the vision we imagined. A little didge here a little burn there, erasing this, coloring that until after a ton of hard work a huge load of layers we have created what we imagined in our heads. Often AI art is a tool that has the capacity to create something we did not or could not imagine. Like asking Grandma to bake some cookies. Some cookies with chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Grandma gets the credit for baking the cookies from scratch unless she used a Betty Crocker Packet you add water to. So I think you are right, the art AI creates, does belong to AI providing it is different, very different from the art used scraped to train it.

ArtAngel said:

I agree. The thing is us artists get an idea. Just an idea . . . a thought. Later that idea/thought becomes alive in our imagination and we can see the end result in our minds. When we humans design art, we have a vision and we use tools to create the vision we imagined. A little didge here a little burn there, erasing this, coloring that until after a ton of hard work a huge load of layers we have created what we imagined in our heads. Often AI art is a tool that has the capacity to create something we did not or could not imagine. Like asking Grandma to bake some cookies. Some cookies with chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Grandma gets the credit for baking the cookies from scratch unless she used a Betty Crocker Packet you add water to. So I think you are right, the art AI creates, does belong to AI providing it is different, very different from the art used scraped to train it.

@artangel ,  you explained it perfectly,  for artists it is the journey,  the work of bringing the creation to life that has value. Be it cathartic or liberating or relaxing, working at art brings joy and peace.   The end product is the bonus reward. 

You don't get the same positive benefits with "type prompt" and "click mouse button".

I will say, I sometimes bake a cake from a box, and since you do still need to toss in the eggs and milk, pull out the mixer,  and butter the pan and then spend the next hour inhaling the baked goodness coming from the oven,  so I'd still consider it baking with some ingredient shortcuts. 

AI art is buying store bought cookies and passing them off as homemade at the school bake sale.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Wow you sure have very busy with AI Gen!!

Some amazing images for sure F B!

David R said:

I tend to agree.  And I'm frankly surprised by the number of artists who've been wooed by the siren song of AI. People who've given up DAZ or even painting and drawing in favor of the "art" button.  Whenever I've tried AI I end up disappointed.  Maybe if I took more time with it, but frankly it holds no fascinaton  for me, and there are things I'd rather do.

In any case, This couple will never be AI. laugh

I could give it a try with your permission. 

Saphirewild said:

Wow you sure have very busy with AI Gen!!

Some amazing images for sure F B!

No point yelling at the tidal wave that is coming towards us,  gotta grab the surfboard and get ready for the ride. 

edited June 11

FirstBastion said:

Wow.  I'm torn.  Part of me wants to see it, just to see, but the other part wants to stay as far away from AI as possible re my two lovers.  But I think my curiosity is winning out.  Yeah, go ahead.  It's just a one-off.  Be kind.

Post edited by David R on
    edited June 12

I think the AI aged them both a little bit more than expected. A simple experiment. Ai enhancement of an existing Daz Studio iray render.  Used with permission. 

David R said:

FirstBastion said:

Wow.  I'm torn.  Part of me wants to see it, just to see, but the other part wants to stay as far away from AI as possible re my two lovers.  But I think my curiosity is winning out.  Yeah, go ahead.  It's just a one-off.  Be kind.

I respect the story and your characters. Just say the word,  and I will remove them.

FirstBastion said:

David R said:

FirstBastion said:

I respect the story and your characters. Just say the word,  and I will remove them.

Heck no, leave it up!   It's an interesting one-time experiment.  But I wouldn't want to take it any farther than this.  Thanks for the peek!   

Another Day at the Office

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,530

That image threatens to give a very misleading impression of how pleasant most office life is.

Regards,

Richard