Got Dizzy Why do thumbs jump around in store?

SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Lots of new stuff in the Store today but it is very confusing. I clicked on an item to read the details. When I hit the back button to grab the thumbnail before clicking on the 'Add to Cart' button, the thumbnail had moved to the first position on the page.

Two of the Platinum Club products I then decided to put in my cart without checking details first. Grabbed the thumbnail for one, clicked 'Add to Cart' button and when the message came up that it was added to the cart, the thumbnail had moved elsewhere on the page. Then I couldn't remember if I'd carted the item or the textures for it. I'd clicked on the first of the two at the time. Had to check on top to read the message.

Clicked another item to read the details, when I came back it was in the same place as before. Added another item to cart and things got rearranged again.

What's going on? This is really weird.,

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited July 2012

Are you only just getting bit by this? It's been driving me crazy ever since the new site launched. The thumbnails either squirm all over the page, or they don't show up for most of a week after the product has been released.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited July 2012

Greetings,
    The items they're pulling up don't have a default sort order and/or they're using an unstable sort (a stable sort is one in which items with the same sort value remain in the same order as they were respectively originally). Essentially it's a technical issue, but it's so low on their priority list (i.e. not actively costing them money) that it's not going to be fixed any time soon. That's my presumption, at least.

-- Morgan

[Edit: If I were to guess, based on the behavior I've typically seen, they are sorting by release date, but they don't have any 'time' field associated with it, and so all the items that have the same date are lumped together and end up in 'whatever' order.]

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:

[Edit: If I were to guess, based on the behavior I've typically seen, they are sorting by release date, but they don't have any 'time' field associated with it, and so all the items that have the same date are lumped together and end up in 'whatever' order.]

Yeah, I be thinking that too.

I agree it'll be a while since it's really only cosmetic even though disorienting.

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

If you sort by price, it's awful. You see the same products re-appearing over and over and you never know if there really ARE 100 pages in a category or whether it's the same products showing up multiple times or whether you're missing a whole bunch of products that are being displaced by the repeaters.

Annoying as hell.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

While we're on the subject, did the Stage Magician Props set (the freebie from last week, or maybe the week before) ever show up in New Releases? I would never have known about it if I hadn't seen several direct links in forum posts. Not sure if it ever appeared in a newsletter, either, due to the "mangled images" glitch.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

While we're on the subject, did the Stage Magician Props set (the freebie from last week, or maybe the week before) ever show up in New Releases? I would never have known about it if I hadn't seen several direct links in forum posts. Not sure if it ever appeared in a newsletter, either, due to the "mangled images" glitch.

Obviously not. I never saw them and don't have 'em. :gulp:

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

Those I had to grab from the newsletter link.

Subscribing to the newsletters has always been a good idea. With the new store, subscribing to the newsletters is *essential*.

And just hope nothing bolixes your subscription or delivery.