An old problem with reverse polys

BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I really need to get to the bottom of this issue because it keeps cropping up and I never tracked down the answer. Hope you guys know it and it's easy.

I have a group of object. I want to make a copy that is the reverse...such as making sunglasses and need to copy my one lens to the other side. I use the symmetry tool and create my duplicate reverse mesh. I position it where it goes. Cool, done.

Now I have back facing polys. If I take this completed object into UVmapper and save without normal it will render fine but the reversed polys are invisible in preview modes.

So, instead I try to use the orient normal tool. I select an object, choose ALL then hit the spacebar and everything reverses so it's facing forward. Great works....not. When I apply a texture and render I can see that each poly has been flipped forward but they are upside down or rotated somehow. The texture is chopped up, like each poly flipped on its own and not as a whole object.

Any help with this? I'd like to figure out why this happens. Did I hit that multiple faces icon? What does that do?

Comments

• BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

Never mind...I got it. I was clicking on the Reverse Normals button (that's what I'm doing, right?), then All and hitting spacebar. I needed to click on Unify Normals, All and spacebar. I finally understand the Unify Normals button. Took me long enough.