Raised, detailed designs

ClaywomanClaywoman Posts: 31
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Can anyone here give any hints, tips or tutorials on how to model surface designs? I would like detailed columns, crowns and the like...but I'm having a hard time modeling these with raised designs

Thanks

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Probably the most detailed tuts on virtually anything under one roof are at Geekatplay http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon.php

If you post some pics of what you are looking to do, we can give some hints :)

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

easiest way to do raised surfaces for a design would be using a displacement map or similar b ut with out images provided by you maybe not

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750
    edited December 1969

If you wanted to do a Corinthian capital you would probably want to model the individual leaves and scrolls, but if your column had intricate carvings then a textured displacement map would be useful to define those details.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you wanted to do a Corinthian capital you would probably want to model the individual leaves and scrolls, but if your column had intricate carvings then a textured displacement map would be useful to define those details.

Don't you usually do a combination of both?

• ClaywomanClaywoman Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

thanks for your responses. You are right, images would have helped. I have 3 examples attached.
    Thanks so much!
    Pamyla

column3.jpg
    300 x 202 - 37K
    column2.jpg
    194 x 259 - 6K
    column1.jpg
    242 x 208 - 9K
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

wow! tho someone probably could model that, im not one, i would go the displacement map route for some of it but the very high relief would have to be modeled and thats way beyond my abilities. GL

edited December 1969

I would do all three with a combination of modelling and displacement maps.

I would probably do the first one at an insane subdivision level in Blender and sculpt in lots of the details then bake out the displacement maps. The other two would be a much more moderate level for modelling and I'd do rough details, like the leaves without getting too 'fancy' with them and then bake/paint much higher detailed displacement maps to bring out the finer details.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys,
    So what you are saying, for me to do is to model the basic shape and use displacement maps for the details?
    Pamyla

edited December 1969

I think I thought that it could all be modeled somehow..especiallly with the last 2 images...I need help with getting those details. I tried the push/pinch tool, but did not get the results that I desired

edited December 1969

You can model a bit more than a 'basic' shape...like for the leaves on the third one...model the outline, curve and central ribs, but no need to model the finer lines. The first one would make a very 'heavy' mesh if you tried to do much more than very basic details. The second one you could get fairly detailed without going to too high a poly count...but

edited December 1969

Here's something I'm currently working on - the scroll-work on the side of the Cutty Sark. The principle is simple - outline with curves join with Ruled Surfaces. The execution not so simple :)

Good idea to try sculpting in Blender or Sculptris, make a low-poly copy using retopo and use the high-poly normal map on the low poly version to get detail. I must try that :)

scroll.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 194K
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Here's something I'm currently working on - the scroll-work on the side of the Cutty Sark. The principle is simple - outline with curves join with Ruled Surfaces. The execution not so simple :)

Good idea to try sculpting in Blender or Sculptris, make a low-poly copy using retopo and use the high-poly normal map on the low poly version to get detail. I must try that :)

Thanks guys. Roygee, would you then use the bend tool in hexagon to place that if it were to go onto a column?
    Pamyla

edited December 1969

I would use a curve to bend it.

Not having much to do this morning, I tried doing the wood carving in your picture. First did a rough layout in Hex, extruding from a single poly, then smoothed 1 level - very little detail modeled into it. Took the .obj into Carrara and projection-mapped the picture onto it. I think it turned out OK? Shows one has to sometimes decide between how much to rely on modelling and how much to rely on texturing for detail.

I'm going to try taking it into Sculptris to sculpt detail and go the normal-map route :)

scrollrend.jpg
    640 x 480 - 900K
    scroll.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 255K
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:

I'm going to try taking it into Sculptris to sculpt detail and go the normal-map route :)

Ditto on the curve...

Nice job. I can't wait to see how the normals bake out...the ones I've done, I've liked...

edited December 1969

Roygee said:

Not having much to do this morning, I tried doing the wood carving in your picture. First did a rough layout in Hex, extruding from a single poly, then smoothed 1 level - very little detail modeled into it. Took the .obj into Carrara and projection-mapped the picture onto it. I think it turned out OK? Shows one has to sometimes decide between how much to rely on modelling and how much to rely on texturing for detail.

Awesome job on this Roygee....why did you move into Carrara? Does it have better modeling capabilities?
    Pamyla

edited December 1969

Thanks, PamLya :)

No, I render mainly in Carrara. Carrara does have a pretty good modeling capability, but I far prefer Hex.